- North Carolina warily watching 2 tropical weather systems
BUXTON, N.C. (AP) — A tropical weather system off the coast of North Carolina's Outer Banks is expected to strengthen in the next day, bringing winds up to 45 mph and heavy rains that could flood low-lying areas, officials said.
- Montenegrin police use pepper spray on protesting ex-workers
PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — Montenegrin police have used pepper spray to stop laid-off employees of an aluminum smelter from storming the parliament building.
- Hurricane watch issued as storm nears Hawaii's Big Island
HONOLULU (AP) — The Central Pacific Hurricane Center on Monday issued a hurricane watch for the Big Island of Hawaii as Hurricane Madeline closed in on the island.
- Baltimore County school board to revisit heat closure policy
TOWSON, Md. (AP) — Baltimore County school officials are planning to revisit a policy in which dozens of schools without air-conditioning have already had to close for two days this school year.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Coroner: Man involved in shootout with police shot himself
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Officials say a man who was involved in a shootout with police officers in South Carolina shot himself to death.
- Louisiana police: 4 children missing in California found
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana state police say four children listed as missing in California have been found and two adults have been arrested, including a man wanted for alleged lewd acts with a child.
- Sheriff: Suspect in priest slaying attempted hanging again
JONESBORO, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia sheriff says an inmate accused of killing a 71-year-old Florida priest tried to hang himself in jail for the second time this year.
- Myanmar to hold historic peace talks with ethnic armies
Peace talks aimed at ending more than half a century of conflict between Myanmar's army and an array of armed ethnic rebel groups are due to start in the capital, Naypyitaw, on Wednesday.
- The Latest: Aircraft investigating depression in Atlantic
BUXTON, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on tropical weather systems that threaten the Southeast (all times local):
- Slain New Mexico girl's relatives mystified over mom's role
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Michelle Martens kept her new relationship with a man convicted of child endangerment a secret from friends and family for weeks — as she helped plan her daughter's 10th birthday party, sent the girl off daily to the school bus and held down her job at a local grocery store.
- Accused teen 'doctor' arrested on new theft charges
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida teenager accused of pretending to be a doctor and stealing money from an 86-year-old patient is facing new charges of grand theft and fraud.
- Businesses near Orlando nightclub struggle with parking
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Store owners whose properties are near the site of the Orlando nightclub massacre are planning to meet to discuss how the fallout of the shooting is affecting their businesses.
- White ex-cop charged in black motorist's death back in court
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A white former police officer charged in the shooting death of a black motorist is returning to a federal courtroom in South Carolina.
- Phoenix sheriff enters primary amid toughest campaign yet
PHOENIX (AP) — Sheriff Joe Arpaio faces three Republican challengers in Tuesday's primary in what has turned out to be the toughest election in his 23 years as the top law enforcer in metro Phoenix.