- Bail decision due for Canada diplomat's teen son in killings
MIAMI (AP) — A decision is due on whether the teenage son of a prominent Canadian diplomat should be released on bail pending trial on murder charges.
- 'Skylanders' injecting vehicles in next installment
LOS ANGELES (AP) — "Skylanders" is pushing the pedal to the metal.
- 2 suspects dead after standoff with police in Texas
ITALY, Texas (AP) — Authorities say police officers fatally shot an armed man who stole a police car during a traffic stop in Central Texas, and a second suspect was found dead inside the stolen vehicle.
- Texas inmate, 67, set for execution in slayings 31 years ago
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — A 67-year-old man who was convicted of killing four men more than three decades ago, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to keep him from becoming the oldest Texas prisoner put to death in an execution scheduled for Wednesday evening.
- The Latest: Russia says 2018 World Cup won't be affected
1140 GMT (7:40 a.m. EDT)
- Capsized Yangtze ship cited over safety problems 2 years ago
Eastern Star, the cruise ship that capsized in the Yangtze river with more than 450 people aboard, was cited for safety violations two years ago, records from a Chinese maritime agency show.
- Cameron Diaz, Paula Abdul join arts education program
NEW YORK (AP) — Cameron Diaz, Paula Abdul and Macy Gray are joining a White House-sponsored initiative to help struggling schools through arts education.
- Police: Man shot dead lunged at police officer, FBI agent
BOSTON (AP) — Police said they have video showing a man who was under 24-hour surveillance by terrorism investigators lunging with a knife at a Boston police officer and an FBI agent before he was shot and killed — an account his brother has disputed.
- The Latest on China Boat Sinking: Pope prays for victims
12:30 p.m. (1030 GMT)
- Jury to hear openings in New Jersey 'gay conversion' trial
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — A jury in northern New Jersey is scheduled to hear opening arguments in the fraud trial of a nonprofit that offers so-called "gay conversion" therapy.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- $4 million fire-prevention grant ignites passions in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A $4 million federal grant to chop down trees in the ritzy Oakland hills has ignited debate over how best to prevent deadly wildfires in the affluent Northern California region.
- Boat capsizes in Utah windstorm; man, 3 children killed
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A summery day on a Utah lake turned deadly for a family and friends when high waves and violent winds kicked up and capsized their boat, throwing all seven people into the cold water.
- Andres weakens to tropical storm, Blanca gains strength
MIAMI (AP) — Andres has weakened to a tropical storm in the eastern Pacific while Hurricane Blanca is rapidly strengthening and is expected to become a major hurricane.
- San Francisco board rejects building suspension
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Check out rental sites for San Francisco, especially the trendier parts: Well over $3,000 a month for a one-bedroom flat and nearly $5,000 for two bedrooms.