- Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve 'sin of abortion'
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis declared Tuesday he is allowing all priests in the church's upcoming Year of Mercy to absolve women of the "sin of abortion" if they repent with a "contrite heart."
- Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses
MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP) — A county clerk in Kentucky has again refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, invoking her religious beliefs and "God's authority" — this time in defiance of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling against her.
- Clinton, aides stressed protecting State Dept info in email
WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton and her aides at the State Department were acutely aware of the need to protect sensitive information when discussing international affairs over email and other forms of unsecure electronic communication, according to the latest batch of messages released by the agency from Clinton's tenure as secretary of state.
- Thai prime minister says bombing suspect arrested at border
BANGKOK (AP) — Thai authorities arrested a man they believe is part of a group responsible for a deadly bombing at a shrine in central Bangkok two weeks ago, the prime minister announced Tuesday. He said the suspect resembles a yellow-shirted man in a surveillance video who police say planted the bomb.
- US markets drop after bleak Chinese manufacturing report
NEW YORK (AP) — Stock markets were plunging again Tuesday, continuing Wall Street's month-long rocky ride, after gloomy economic data out of China rekindled fears that the world's second-largest economy is slowing much faster than anticipated.
- Williams into US Open 2nd round when injured opponent stops
NEW YORK (AP) — Even before Serena Williams set foot in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Monday night, her path through the U.S. Open to complete a true Grand Slam became a lot easier thanks to losses by other top women.
- Latest on US Open: Nadal deals with dehydration, bad stomach
NEW YORK (AP) — The latest on the U.S. Open (all times local):
- Alex Morgan featured in series produced by LeBron James
CLEVELAND (AP) — Soccer star Alex Morgan will be the first athlete profiled on Disney's inspirational "Becoming" series produced by LeBron James.
- No settlement: Goodell, Brady await 'Deflategate' ruling
NEW YORK (AP) — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady attended last-minute settlement talks between the NFL and its players union Monday before a judge announced he would decide the dispute over deflated footballs with a ruling in a day or two.
- Kirk Cousins to start season as Redskins QB
ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — The Washington Redskins have made a quarterback change: Kirk Cousins will be the starter this season, not Robert Griffin III.