- California governor's highway plan includes $65 driver fee
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — More than two months after calling a special session to address California's transportation funding backlog, Gov. Jerry Brown has begun circulating a list of administration proposals on how to pay for it, including a $65 annual fee for drivers and increases in the diesel and gas taxes tied to inflation.
- Airman who helped stop train attack returns to US
TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP) — The U.S. Air Force airman who was injured when he and two childhood friends tackled a heavily armed gunman on a Paris-bound train returned to his native California Thursday night.
- Players hoping "Deflategate" can usher in change
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Tom Brady is free and Ramon Foster can't help but laugh. Sorry, the irony is just a little too delicious.
- US Open Lookahead: Venus Williams could use tips from Serena
NEW YORK (AP) — Venus Williams' opponent in the third round of the U.S. Open on Friday is 18-year-old Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, who just so happens to be the last player to beat Serena Williams.
- Judge: Suspect's confession OK in California pier shooting
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — After five days of testimony spread over two weeks, a San Francisco judge said he is ready to determine if a Mexican national who became the focus of a nationwide debate over immigration should stand trial for murder.