- Europe's comet probe Rosetta ends 12-year mission with crash
BERLIN (AP) — After 12 years of hurtling through space in pursuit of a comet, the Rosetta probe ended its mission Friday with a slow-motion crash onto the icy surface of the alien world it was sent out to study.
- Israelis, world leaders gather for Peres funeral
JERUSALEM (AP) — Shimon Peres was laid to rest on Friday in a ceremony attended by thousands of admirers and dozens of international dignitaries — in a final tribute to a man who personified the history of Israel during a remarkable seven-decade political career and who came to be seen by many as a visionary and symbol of hopes of Mideast peace.
- 2 Van Gogh paintings recovered by Italian anti-Mafia police
ROME (AP) — Italian police have found two Van Gogh paintings that were stolen from an Amsterdam museum in 2002 hidden in a farmhouse near an organized crime syndicate's Naples-area stronghold, investigators said Friday.
- Obama: Peres won his wars but understood the need for peace
JERUSALEM (AP) — President Barack Obama hailed Shimon Peres Friday as a man who showed the world that justice and hope are at the heart of the Zionist ideal and saw "all people as deserving of dignity and respect."
- Pakistan militant group jumps to prominence with attacks
ISLAMABAD (AP) — One of Pakistan's most vicious militant groups has dramatically stepped up its attacks over the past month, striking mosques, Christians and security forces in attacks that have killed more than 60 people in what appears to be a backlash to military operations against it.
- Syrian monitor: Russian airstrikes killed 9,300 in past year
BEIRUT (AP) — A year of Russian airstrikes on areas outside government control in Syria have killed more than 9,000 people, displaced tens of thousands and caused wide destruction, an opposition monitoring group said Friday.
- The Latest: Activists: Aleppo airstrikes kill at least 12
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on Syria (all times local):
- Dueling truths follow Indian raid in Pakistani Kashmir
ISLAMABAD (AP) — In New Delhi, they say that highly trained Indian soldiers slipped across the de facto border and into Pakistani-controlled Kashmir in a daring nighttime raid, killing anti-India militants preparing to launch attacks.
- World's deepest underwater cave found in the Czech Republic
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — A team of explorers say they've found the world's deepest underwater cave, located at least 404 meters (1,325 feet) down a limestone formation in the eastern Czech Republic.
- US website: NKorea may be building new missile submarine
WASHINGTON (AP) — North Korea may be building a new submarine for launching missiles, a U.S. website that monitors the isolated nation's weapons development said Friday.
AP Top International News