- Renewed AB InBev bid for SABMiller ups stake in beer battle
BRUSSELS (AP) — Any talk of a union between Budweiser and Miller — in fact, any talk of the creation of beer behemoth reaching all parts of the globe for that matter — should be put off for now as the owners of two of the world's most famous beers continue to haggle over the terms of a merger.
- John Fogerty on ups, downs, becoming music's fortunate son
TOPANGA, Calif. (AP) — Although he wrote the classic Americana songbook, it took John Fogerty more than 30 years to come to terms with the realization he really was one of rock music's fortunate sons.
- The Latest: Nobel shows link between DNA repair, diseases
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Latest developments in the announcements of the Nobel Prizes (all times local):
- Review: 'Malala' is a gripping story, eloquently told
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Many people know the basic elements of the story of Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenager who was the youngest person ever to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. But "He Named Me Malala" retells that story in a deft and affecting way. Director Davis Guggenheim, who made the Oscar-winning "An Inconvenient Truth" and the controversial "Waiting for Superman," does some of his most heartfelt work in this tribute to Malala and her entire family.
- Urban Outfitters to end on-call scheduling in New York
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York's attorney general says Urban Outfitters will end on-call scheduling at stores in the state.
- The Latest: Merkel puts aide in charge of migrant response
BRUSSELS (AP) — The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- The Latest: Israeli PM cancels trip to Germany amid violence
JERUSALEM (AP) — The latest developments in ongoing tensions between Palestinians and Israelis following days of violence in Jerusalem and the West Bank (all times local).
- Syrian troops launch ground offensive in central regions
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Syrian government troops launched a ground offensive Wednesday in the country's central region under cover of Russian airstrikes, a Damascus official said. And in the first salvo from the sea, Russian warships fired missiles into Syria, with Moscow saying they were targeting militants.
- Nepal government, protesters discuss size of states
KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Negotiators from Nepal's government and the main group protesting the country's new constitution discussed the main issue of the size of proposed states on Wednesday, but said little progress was made in their second day of talks.
- UK's Cameron: I'll get tough in EU negotiations
LONDON (AP) — Prime Minister David Cameron vowed Wednesday to get tough in European Union negotiations, crack down on extremism, make Britain a more equal country — and then resign.
- The Latest on rainstorm: Crews still working on canal breach
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The latest on the rainstorm that pounded parts of the East Coast (all times local):
- Ben Carson defends remark on shooting as advice for future
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson says he's trying to plant in people's minds the idea that they should rush a shooter in a situation like the Oregon community college attack.
- French govt starts anti-jihadi ad campaign to counter IS
PARIS (AP) — A new French government ad campaign features mourning families to discourage young people from joining extremists in Syria — an attempt at a counter-narrative against an Islamic State publicity machine that churns out huge amounts of propaganda.
- Israeli team advances in contest to send spacecraft to moon
JERUSALEM (AP) — A team of Israeli engineers is the first to advance in an international competition sponsored by Google to send a privately-funded spacecraft to the moon, contest organizers announced Wednesday.
- Afghanistan says troops hold Kunduz square, calm returning
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghan troops have regained control of the main square in Kunduz, a strategic northern city briefly seized by Taliban insurgents last week that has been the scene of intense fighting, officials said Wednesday.