- Man driving motorcycle in dark hits black cow and dies
RUSSELL, Kan. (AP) — A 59-year-old Kansas man was killed when the motorcycle he was driving Friday night collided with a black cow on a blacktopped road.
- Texas city council votes to oust library cat
WHITE SETTLEMENT, Texas (AP) — A North Texas city council has started a cat fight by voting to oust the furry mascot of the city's public library.
- Court bites back, exonerates Michigan TV vet who saved dog
DETROIT (AP) — A Boston terrier named Mr. Pigglesworth is as frisky as ever — and the Michigan veterinarian who saved the dog's life on a reality TV show has been cleared of misconduct.
- Wife of nation's lowest-paid governor takes waitressing job
BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine (AP) — The waitress bounded with a cup of chowder and a plate of fish and broccoli.
- Stop hanging up on governor, Pennsylvania employees are told
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Pennsylvania governor's personal touch doesn't always get him very far.
- Eatery has duck on menu and ducklings jumping off its roof
ASBURY PARK, N.J. (AP) — One New Jersey restaurant has duck on its menu and ducklings jumping off its roof.
- Police find heroin mill behind NYC candy shop's secret door
NEW YORK (AP) — Police say they have uncovered a massive heroin-selling operation behind a secret door that was disguised as a shelf at a New York City candy shop.
- 2 charged with racking up $30,000 in unpaid tolls combined
FORT LEE, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say they've nabbed two New Jersey residents who have racked up about $30,000 in unpaid tolls combined.
- Mud-splattered Filipinos pray to saint for blessing and woes
BIBICLAT, Philippines (AP) — Hundreds of Filipino villagers donning capes of banana leaves covered themselves in mud Friday in a ritual to thank their patron saint, John the Baptist, who they believe saved residents from killings by Japanese invaders in World War II.
- At New Jersey beach town, king and queen of marbles crowned
WILDWOOD, N.J. (AP) — Louie Lee proved himself the current dominant male player in his sport, crushing his opponent in a national championship match Thursday in New Jersey.
- Zombie dog? Coyote? Mystery animal seen in cemetery
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Police in New Hampshire say a macabre mammal spotted in a town cemetery is likely a mangy fox — not a "zombie dog" or mythical beast as some have speculated.
- German man recovers buried treasure lost in floods
BERLIN (AP) — German authorities say an elderly man in Bavaria has recovered his fortune, which he'd hidden at home for safety only to have recent floods make the building uninhabitable.
- Gator captured on Georgia beach killed; head to be mounted
TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. (AP) — The trapper who captured an alligator seen swimming in the Atlantic Ocean a few yards off a Georgia beach says the reptile has been killed and its head will be mounted.
- Blue or green? U.K. split over swatch's color
CUMBERNAULD, Scotland (AP) — A survey from a Scottish eye care company could be sparking a controversy similar to last year's debate over the color of a dress.
- Zoo closes as staff try to wrangle escaped 12-pound monkey
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — There's some monkey business afoot at a Massachusetts zoo.