- FBI investigates hack at House Democrats' campaign committee
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The FBI is investigating an apparent hack into computer systems at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, following a similar intrusion at the Democratic National Committee.
- Maker Faire Detroit festival marks 7th year this weekend
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) — The Henry Ford history attraction in suburban Detroit is hosting a festival celebrating arts, crafts, engineering and technology.
- NOAA: Drone technology aids whale research off Hawaii
HONOLULU (AP) — Federal researchers returning from a 30-day expedition to study whales and dolphins around the Hawaiian islands are looking for clues to help sustain healthy populations of the marine mammals.
- Microsoft making additional job cuts in phone business
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Microsoft says it is cutting 2,850 jobs, about 2.5 percent of its workforce, as it further scales back its troubled smartphone business.
- Alphabet's 2Q earns soar despite rising 'moonshot' losses
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Business is booming at Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc., even as it loses billions of dollars on kooky-sounding projects that may never produce any revenue.
- Amazon's already large distribution empire keeps expanding
NEW YORK (AP) — Online shoppers want their packages — now. And Amazon is spending heavily to make sure that happens.
- Clues in DNC hacking point to Russia, despite Trump claims
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said again Thursday whoever hacked the Democratic National Committee and stole years of internal emails remains a mystery, but private security experts — although not yet any U.S. government agencies — say they found persuasive clues that point to hacking groups whose previous targets track closely with the strategic interests of Russia's government, especially its civilian and military intelligence and security agencies.
- Genetically modified mosquitoes released in Cayman Islands
GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands (AP) — The first wave of genetically modified mosquitoes were released Wednesday in the Cayman Islands as part of a new effort to control the insect that spreads Zika and other viruses, officials in the British Island territory said.
- Alphabet tops Street 2Q forecasts
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL) on Thursday reported second-quarter earnings of $4.88 billion.
- The Latest: Troubled Nevada sports book operator fined again
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on a Nevada sports book operator accused of underpaying winning bets (all times local):
- Stocks post slight gains as investors work through earnings
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks had another day of meager gains on Thursday as investors worked through a new batch of mixed company earnings, including results from Facebook, Ford and Whole Foods.
- Amazon tops Street 2Q forecasts
SEATTLE (AP) — Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) on Thursday reported second-quarter profit of $857 million.
- 'Nerve' is a dark thriller for the Pokemon Go generation
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The invigorating new thriller "Nerve ," now playing in theaters, goes deep into the psychology of the internet with an addictive game that's so fresh, you wonder whether the filmmakers had a tip that the Pokemon Go craze was on the horizon.
- Facebook agrees to refunds on in-app purchases by minors
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Court documents show Facebook has agreed to allow users to request refunds of in-app purchases made by minors as part of a settlement of a class-action lawsuit.