- Inaugural cheers, fireworks: Trump sweeps in for his big day
WASHINGTON (AP) — With fireworks heralding his big moment, Donald Trump swept into Washington Thursday on the eve of his presidential inauguration and pledged to unify a nation sorely divided and clamoring for change. The capital braced for an onslaught of crowds and demonstrators — with all the attendant hoopla and hand-wringing.
- Timing of Mexico drug lord's extradition seen as political
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's abrupt exit to face charges in the U.S. marks the end of an era in which he was Mexico's most notorious drug cartel boss and, for some, the stuff of folk legend.
- Mexican drug kingpin "El Chapo" to appear in US courtroom
NEW YORK (AP) — Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, one of the world's most notorious drug kingpins, is finally headed for a court date the United States sought for two decades while he made brazen prison escapes and spent years on the run in Mexico.
- Gambian leader told to cede power or be forced out
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Gambia's defeated President Yahya Jammeh must cede power by noon Friday or he will be dislodged by a regional force that has already moved into the country, West African officials said.
- Search continues at Italian hotel hit by avalanche
FARINDOLA, Italy (AP) — Rescue crews are continuing the painstaking search for some 30 people trapped inside a remote Italian mountain resort flattened by a huge avalanche.
- Murray, Wawrinka advance to 4th round at Australian Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Andy Murray showed no signs of trouble with his sore ankle as he advanced to the round of 16 at the Australian Open for the ninth straight year, avoiding an upset against Sam Querrey on a mild Friday afternoon.
- UCLA's Ball, Villanova's Hart lead list of top performers
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — It didn't take long to spot college basketball's top performers this season, not with star UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball flirting with a triple-double and Kansas' Frank Mason III scoring 30 on opening night.
- Goran Dragic evolving as a player and a leader for Heat
MIAMI (AP) — Goran Dragic has already been mentioned in trade rumors, and it's quite reasonable to think that will continue over the next few weeks.
- Jackpot! Vegas looks to score big win by landing Raiders
LAS VEGAS (AP) — First the NHL's Vegas Golden Knights. Soon, maybe, the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Curry, Durant, LeBron, Irving to start NBA All-Star Game
NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Curry won a tiebreaker to join Golden State teammate Kevin Durant in the lineup, while LeBron James and Kyrie Irving also gave Cleveland two starters in the NBA All-Star Game.