- Estimates of North Korea's nuclear weapons hard to nail down
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. intelligence agencies' assessments of the size of North Korea's nuclear arsenal have a wide gap between high and low estimates. Size matters and not knowing makes it harder for the United States to develop a policy for deterrence and defend itself and allies in the region.
- Spanish police kill 5 in resort hours after Barcelona attack
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Police on Friday shot and killed five people wearing fake bomb belts who staged a car attack in a seaside resort in Spain's Catalonia region hours after a van plowed into pedestrians on a busy Barcelona promenade, killing at least 13 people and injuring over 100 others.
- The Latest: Irish, Romanian citizens among Barcelona injured
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — The Latest on the Spain attacks (all times local):
- Trump defends Confederate statues, berates his critics
BRIDGEWATER, N.J. (AP) — With prominent Republicans openly questioning his competence and moral leadership, President Donald Trump burrowed deeper into the racially charged debate over Confederate memorials and lashed out at members of his own party in the latest controversy to engulf his presidency.
- Colleges brace for more violence amid rash of hate on campus
BOSTON (AP) — Nicholas Fuentes is dropping out of Boston University and heading south, pressing ahead with his right-wing politics despite receiving online death threats.
- Will a Heisman longshot prevail for third straight season?
Preseason longshots the past two years have ended up winning the Heisman Trophy.
- After doping scandals, Russia touts reformed testing agency
MOSCOW (AP) — After almost two years under suspension, the Russian anti-doping agency wants to show it's capable of cleaning up a tainted sports scene.
- Mazara homers, drives in 5 as Rangers top White Sox 9-8
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Nomar Mazara keeps driving in runs, and it's helping the Texas Rangers climb in the AL wild-card race.
- Zimmerman's homer lifts Nationals to 2-1 win vs Padres
SAN DIEGO (AP) — With 33-year-old Edwin Jackson mostly frustrating the San Diego Padres for seven innings, Ryan Zimmerman and the rest of the Washington Nationals figured out a way to win on just four hits.
- Bye, bye Bortles? Jaguars open up quarterback competition
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Blake Bortles may have started his last game in Jacksonville.