- A stunned Puerto Rico seeks to rebuild after Hurricane Maria
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Rescuers fanned out to reach stunned victims Thursday after Hurricane Maria ravaged Puerto Rico, knocking out electricity to the entire island and triggering landslides and floods.
- Body found at collapsed Mexico school; girl still trapped
MEXICO CITY (AP) — A delicate effort to reach a young girl buried in the ruins of her school stretched into a new day on Thursday, a vigil broadcast across the nation as rescue workers struggled in rain and darkness to pick away unstable debris and reach her.
- Trump vows more sanctions over North Korea's nuclear buildup
NEW YORK (AP) — President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday aiming to tighten an economic noose around North Korea, days after he threatened to "totally destroy" the country if forced to defend the United States or its allies.
- Afghan leader: Abolishing militant havens in Pakistan is key
NEW YORK (AP) — Abolishing militant hideouts in Pakistan is critical to establishing peace in neighboring Afghanistan, the Afghan leader said Thursday before meeting President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.
- On work trips, DeVos flies on her plane at own expense
WASHINGTON (AP) — Education Secretary Betsy DeVos flies on her personal plane at her own expense when she visits schools around the country, according to her office, as other Cabinet secretaries' flying habits at taxpayers' cost have drawn scrutiny.
- Undefeated champ Andre Ward retires, desire no longer there
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Light heavyweight champion Andre Ward retired from boxing with an undefeated record Thursday because he no longer has the desire to fight.
- In Shanghai, LA Kings win 1st NHL preseason game in China
SHANGHAI (AP) — Building on the support for winter sports in China since Beijing won the 2022 Olympics, the NHL is showcasing two preseason games in an attempt to break into a market and country unfamiliar with hockey.
- NEXT ONE? Hoops phenom at 13 has college offer, NBA height
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Emoni Bates walks out a front door of Clague Middle School with just inches to spare.
- Young, established NHL players are resorting to camp tryouts
When Alex Chiasson found himself without a job halfway through the offseason, frustration began to set in.
- LEADING OFF: Cubs-Brewers meet in NL Central showdown
A look at what's happening all around the majors today: