- New blow to GOP health bill: Nevada GOP Sen. Heller opposes
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada said Friday he opposes the GOP bill that would scuttle much of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, complicating the task party leaders face in guiding the banner legislation through the Senate.
- Senators ask military to review AP report on Yemen torture
WASHINGTON (AP) — Two senior U.S. senators are asking Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to investigate reports that U.S. military interrogators worked with forces from the United Arab Emirates accused of torturing detainees in Yemen.
- London council evacuates residents amid fire safety concerns
LONDON (AP) — A local London council has decided to evacuate some 800 households in apartment buildings it owns because of safety concerns following the devastating fire that killed 79 people in a west London high-rise.
- APNewsBreak: Military heads want transgender enlistment hold
WASHINGTON (AP) — Military chiefs will seek a six-month delay before letting transgender people enlist in their services, officials said Friday.
- Qatar weighs demands to end crisis amid threat of long siege
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — With just days to decide, Qatar on Friday weighed an onerous list of demands by its neighbors as a way out of a regional crisis, and a top Emirati official warned the tiny country to brace for a long-term economic squeeze unless it is willing to acquiesce.
- Raiders reward QB Derek Carr with record $125 million deal
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — Derek Carr and general manager Reggie McKenzie never doubted the two sides could reach a long-term contract agreement to keep the quarterback with the Raiders before Carr's self-imposed training camp deadline.
- It's time for No. 1 pick Fultz to turn 76ers into winners
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Markelle Fultz already has his first turnover as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers.
- NASCAR crew chief Knaus missing race notes after theft
SONOMA, Calif. (AP) — Seven-time championship-winning crew chief Chad Knaus was oddly calm Friday even though his race notes for star driver Jimmie Johnson this weekend had been stolen from his rental car in San Francisco.
- Spieth leads by 1 midway through 2nd round at Travelers
CROMWELL, Conn. (AP) — Jordan Spieth shot a 1-under 69 on Friday to maintain a one-stroke lead midway through the second round of the Travelers Championship in Connecticut.
- Blackhawks deal Panarin and Hjalmarsson, get Saad back
CHICAGO (AP) — General manager Stan Bowman promised changes were coming after the Chicago Blackhawks were swept in the first round of the playoffs.