- Shutdown deadline nears; no accord in Trump-Schumer meeting
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer met Friday afternoon in an eleventh-hour effort to avert a government shutdown, with a bitterly divided Washington locked in stare-down over federal spending and legislation to protect some 700,000 younger immigrants from deportation.
- Supreme Court to rule on Trump travel ban
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide the legality of the latest version of President Donald Trump's ban on travel to the United States by residents of six majority-Muslim countries.
- Las Vegas gunman carefully planned attack; motive is mystery
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Las Vegas gunman meticulously planned how to carry out the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history, researching SWAT tactics, renting other hotel rooms overlooking outdoor concerts and investigating potential targets in at least four cities, authorities said Friday.
- Thorny global issues abound a year into Trump presidency
With a sharp departure from years and sometimes decades of U.S. foreign policy, President Donald Trump has made a seismic global impact during his first year in office.
- Mom, wife who had 2nd online life found slain
CALERA, Ala. (AP) — Kathleen Dawn West described herself as a full-time wife and mom on Facebook but lived another life on other social media platforms, calling herself an exhibitionist and posting risque photos with a chance for subscribers to see sexier images for $15.99 a month.
- Brady mum on status for AFC title game after hand injury
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — Tom Brady is staying mum on his status for the AFC championship game after suffering a right-hand injury earlier in the week.
- Olympic gymnast abused by ex-doctor wants him to suffer
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman on Friday confronted her former doctor who has pleaded guilty to multiple sexual assaults, warning him that the testimony of the "powerful army" of 140 survivors at his sentencing will haunt him in prison.
- With Olympics coming, Shiffrin works because she worries
Mikaela Shiffrin often finds herself fixating on two thoughts that are completely detached from reality.
- Defense wins championships, or at least the NFC title
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — One team has a suffocating defense. The other has the NFL's No. 1 unit.
- Jaguars don't fear Patriots' history in AFC title matchup
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — The week started with a little trash talk from the underdog . The rest of it was dominated by speculation about a certain 40-year-old quarterback's injured throwing hand .