- Trump's claim about predecessors, fallen troops disputed
WASHINGTON (AP) — For U.S. presidents, meeting the families of military personnel killed in war is about as wrenching as the presidency gets. President Donald Trump's suggestion Monday that his predecessors fell short in that duty brought a visceral reaction from those who witnessed those grieving encounters.
- Iraq: After losing Kirkuk, Kurdish forces pull out of Sinjar
IRBIL, Iraq (AP) — Iraq's Kurdish fighters have lost more territory in Iraq, a day after Iraqi forces pushed them out of the disputed oil-rich city of Kirkuk.
- AP News Guide: The rise and fall of the Islamic State group
BEIRUT (AP) — The Islamic State group, responsible for some of the worst atrocities perpetrated against civilians in recent history, appears on the verge of collapse.
- Californians brace for emotional toll from wildfires
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — A week after fleeing wildfires, tens of thousands of Californians are drifting back into their neighborhoods.
- Trump getting more open to chatting in public
WASHINGTON (AP) — Reporters were seated in the White House briefing room awaiting an appearance by press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Monday when a call went out over a loudspeaker to head to the Rose Garden. There was no time to lose: President Donald Trump wanted to talk. Again.
- Judge, Sabathia help Yankees beat Astros 8-1, trail ALCS 2-1
NEW YORK (AP) — Back in the Bronx, the big guys delivered.
- Astros out of sorts in 8-1 loss at Yanks, lead ALCS 2-1
NEW YORK (AP) — Cameron Maybin sprinted toward the left-field line and suddenly stopped, with plenty of room to spare.
- AP source: Suspended Elliott getting emergency hearing in NY
Attorneys for Dallas Cowboys star Ezekiel Elliott are set for an emergency hearing in federal court in New York as they try again to stop the running back's six-game suspension over domestic violence allegations, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Monday night.
- Silver and MJ: 1 man's NBA garbage is another man's beauty
NEW YORK (AP) — Adam Silver's NBA has endless action and daily drama.
- The 10 things to know going into this NBA season
Happy New Year, NBA.