- Trump ousts Steve Bannon: influential, divisive strategist
WASHINGTON (AP) — Steve Bannon, the blunt-spoken and divisive strategist who rose from Donald Trump's conservative campaign to a top White House post, was pushed out by the president Friday, capping a turbulent seven months marked by the departure of much of Trump's original senior staff.
- Soothing the nation? Trump struggles like no other president
WASHINGTON (AP) — For Susan Bro, mother of the woman killed at a rally organized by white supremacists, the president of the United States can offer no healing words.
- Spanish plan for carnage started with botched explosion
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — A cell of at least nine extremists meticulously plotted to combine vehicles and explosives in a direct hit on tourists, and managed to carry off most of their deadly plan, killing 14 people, authorities said Friday. Police in Spain and France pressed a manhunt for any remaining members of the group, which Islamic State claimed as its own.
- Barcelona's victims include US man celebrating anniversary
PARIS (AP) — The dead and injured in Barcelona were a snapshot of the world — men, women and children from nearly three dozen nations — testifying to the huge global appeal of the sun-kissed city.
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California man who was spending his first wedding anniversary overseas was among those killed in a deadly truck attack in Barcelona, Spain, his family said Friday.
- Oh Baby! Jeter welcomes birth of daughter
NEW YORK (AP) — The captain's team just got a little bigger.
- Jake Arrieta, Javier Baez lead Cubs over Blue Jays 7-4
CHICAGO (AP) — Jake Arrieta pitched into the seventh inning and allowed a run, Javier Baez homered and drove in three runs, and the Chicago Cubs beat the Toronto Blue Jays 7-4 on Friday in a rare interleague matchup.
- Franklin inks contract extension with Penn St through 2020
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State coach James Franklin has signed a contract extension that guarantees him $34.7 million through 2022.
- Georgia Tech kicks running back Dedrick Mills off team
ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia Tech running back Dedrick Mills was kicked off the team Friday for his latest violation of athletic department rules.
- Nadal, Pliskova start Cincinnati doubleheader with wins
MASON, Ohio (AP) — Rafael Nadal and Karolina Pliskova got a doubleheader day started with victories at the Western & Southern Open on Friday. The tournament's top seeds then had only a few hours to eat, rest and prepare for quarterfinals matches.