- Obama defends decision to commute Chelsea Manning's sentence
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama firmly defended his decision to cut nearly three decades off convicted leaker Chelsea Manning's prison term Wednesday, arguing in his final White House news conference that the former Army intelligence analyst had served a "tough prison sentence" already.
- Price says affordability, access key to health care reform
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump's pick for health secretary said Wednesday that access and affordability were his goals for revamping health care, and he offered assurances that the new administration is not planning to launch a Medicare overhaul.
- In break with Trump, EPA pick says climate change isn't hoax
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump's choice to head the Environmental Protection Agency said Wednesday that climate change is real, breaking with both the president-elect and his own past statements.
- Former President George H.W. Bush, wife Barbara hospitalized
HOUSTON (AP) — Former President George H.W. Bush was admitted to an intensive care unit on Wednesday, and his wife, Barbara, was hospitalized as a precaution, according to his spokesman.
- West African bloc vows Gambia intervention at midnight
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — After more than two decades in power, Gambian President Yahya Jammeh faced the prospect of a midnight military intervention by regional forces, as the man who once pledged to rule the West African nation for a billion years clung to power late Wednesday.
- High-octane offenses in title games. This should be fun.
This should be fun.
- A look at events and attractions surrounding Super Bowl LI
HOUSTON (AP) — Houston is the nation's fourth largest city, a sprawling metropolis larger than some small states. But the good news for those visiting for Super Bowl LI is that most of the events surrounding the game will be concentrated downtown, making it easy to visit a number of attractions.
- Steelers WR Antonio Brown apologizes for livestreaming video
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has apologized for livestreaming video from the team's locker room following its win over Kansas City.
- Justices raise doubts over law barring offensive trademarks
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court raised doubts Wednesday about a law that bars the government from registering trademarks that are deemed offensive.
- Cloud of steroids hovers above Hall of Fame voting
NEW YORK (AP) — The cloud of steroids hovers above Hall of Fame voting, much as it shrouded baseball in the 1990s and early 2000s.