- Inaugural cheers, fireworks: Trump sweeps in for his big day
WASHINGTON (AP) — With fireworks heralding his big moment, Donald Trump swept into Washington Thursday on the eve of his presidential inauguration and pledged to unify a nation sorely divided and clamoring for change. The capital braced for an onslaught of crowds and demonstrators — with all the attendant hoopla and hand-wringing.
- After oath, Trump faces ambitious Day 1 to-do list
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump campaigned on a detailed and extensive to-do list for his first day in office. A day before his swearing-in, his team was being coy about when and how he plans to cross items off it.
- As Trump takes the oath, many voters still can't believe it
On the morning 19 months ago when Donald Trump descended the escalator in his glitzy Manhattan tower, waving to onlookers who lined the rails, many Americans knew little about him beyond that he was very rich and had a thing for firing people on a reality television show.
- Mexican drug lord El Chapo lands in New York to face charges
NEW YORK (AP) — Infamous Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, who twice escaped from maximum-security prisons in his country, was extradited at the request of the United States to face drug trafficking and other charges and arrived in New York late Thursday.
- Brazil judge dies in crash ahead of corruption probe ruling
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Teori Zavascki's died in a small-plane crash just weeks before he was to rule on a major corruption case that could implicate high-ranking politicians in several Latin American countries.
- Jackpot! Vegas looks to score big win by landing Raiders
LAS VEGAS (AP) — First the NHL's Vegas Golden Knights. Soon, maybe, the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Curry, Durant, LeBron, Irving to start NBA All-Star Game
NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Curry won a tiebreaker to join Golden State teammate Kevin Durant in the lineup, while LeBron James and Kyrie Irving also gave Cleveland two starters in the NBA All-Star Game.
- Spurs center Pau Gasol breaks finger during pregame warmups
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Spurs center Pau Gasol has broken his finger during pregame warmups and is not playing against the Denver Nuggets.
- AP source: Trumbo, Orioles reach $37.5 million, 3-year deal
The Baltimore Orioles have agreed to a $37.5 million, three-year contract to keep major league home run champion Mark Trumbo, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
- Different era, different drug question for Rodriguez, Raines
NEW YORK (AP) — Moments after Tim Raines spoke openly about overcoming cocaine abuse, Ivan Rodriguez tried to avoid discussing whether he had used steroids.