- Trump takes charge: Sworn in as nation's 45th president
WASHINGTON (AP) — Pledging to empower America's "forgotten men and women," Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States Friday, taking command of a deeply divided nation and ushering in an unpredictable era in Washington. His victory gives Republicans control of the White House for the first time in eight years.
- Smashed windows, chaotic confrontation near inauguration
WASHINGTON (AP) — Police deployed pepper spray and made numerous arrests in a chaotic confrontation blocks from Donald Trump's inauguration Friday as protesters registered their rage against the new president.
- With hopes and fears, a divided America watches inauguration
ADRIAN, Mich. (AP) — In living rooms, cafes and offices, Americans watched Donald Trump become the nation's 45th president on Friday, with many eagerly anticipating the historic transition and others deeply fearing it.
- The Latest: Man reunites with wife, son after avalanche
FARINDOLA, Italy (AP) — The Latest on the avalanche that buried a hotel in central Italy (all times local):
- The Latest: US found out about El Chapo extradition Thursday
NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman facing drug trafficking and other charges in the United States (all times local):
- Power 5 conferences vote to stop spring practices off campus
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Any coaches wanting to follow Jim Harbaugh's lead and take a team off-campus just for practice to build their brand name and boost recruiting likely have missed that opportunity.
- UCLA's Ball, Villanova's Josh Hart lead list of top players
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — It didn't take long to spot college basketball's top performers this season, not with star UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball flirting with a triple-double and Kansas' Frank Mason III scoring 30 on opening night.
- 'Crazy' good: Federer into 4th round at Australian Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Roger Federer relaxed into the chair, his arms folded across his chest in a casual, confident way, and just savored a vintage Australian Open performance.
- Watson among 103 to give up eligibility to enter NFL draft
NEW YORK (AP) — For the second straight year, more than 100 college players are giving up eligibility to enter the NFL draft.
- Venus focused on tennis, not age, in record 73rd Grand Slam
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — One could never accuse Venus Williams of being sensitive about her age. Not the way she keeps making self-deprecating jokes about it at the Australian Open.