- Trump, amid combative start, pledges to rise to moment
WASHINGTON (AP) — After a combative start to his presidency, Donald Trump delivered a more unifying message Sunday and sought to reassure Americans he was up to the daunting task ahead, as he turned to the business of government.
- More tornadoes ahead as death toll reach 15 in southeast US
ADEL, Georgia (AP) — Deadly weather in the Southeast killed 16 people and injured dozens more, authorities said Sunday, as residents along the Georgia-Florida line braced for more intense, fast-moving storms — including unusually strong "long track" twisters.
- Israeli leader accepts invitation from Trump to visit US
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's prime minister on Sunday accepted an invitation to visit the White House next month in hopes of forging a "common vision" for the region with President Donald Trump that could include expanded settlement construction on occupied territories and a tougher policy toward Iran.
- Avalanche survivors: sipping tea, then world crashed down
FARINDOLA, Italy (AP) — Some of the lucky ones were sipping hot tea near the fireplace in their mountain resort hotel, waiting for snowplows to arrive so they could finally go home, after a winter holiday made nerve-wracking by a day of ground-shaking earthquakes and heavy snowfall.
- Gambia's ex-leader made off with millions, luxury cars
BANJUL, Gambia (AP) — Exiled Gambian ruler Yahya Jammeh stole millions of dollars in his final weeks in power, plundering the state coffers and shipping out luxury vehicles by cargo plane, a special adviser for the new president said Sunday.
- The Latest: Packers mistakes costly as Falcons lead 31-7
The Latest on the NFL conference championship games (all times Eastern):
- Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.
- Current, former major leaguers die in Dominican crashes
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and former major leaguer Andy Marte died in separate traffic accidents early Sunday in their native Dominican Republic.
- Some notable deaths of active pro baseball players
A look at some of the notable deaths of active pro baseball players in recent years:
- Tough at the top: Murray, Kerber make 4th-round exits in Oz
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Andy Murray and Angelique Kerber had much in common heading into the first Grand Slam of the season as the No. 1 seeds.