- Analysis: Trump insists on 'America First.' Who will follow?
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — President Donald Trump invited the question, and now the world must answer: If America insists on putting itself first, will anyone else follow?
- 7.1 magnitude quake kills 61 as buildings collapse in Mexico
MEXICO CITY (AP) — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake rocked central Mexico on Tuesday, killing at least 61 people as buildings collapsed in plumes of dust. Thousands fled into the streets in panic, and many stayed to help rescue those trapped.
- The Latest: Death toll in Mexican quake rises to 79
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Latest on the strong earthquake that hit Mexico City (all times local):
- Hurricane Maria aims at Puerto Rico after slamming Dominica
ROSEAU, Dominica (AP) — Dominica's leader sent out an emotional plea for help as Hurricane Maria smashed into the Caribbean island and caused "mind-boggling" devastation, but an ominous silence followed as the country lost all communications on Tuesday and the Category 5 hurricane barreled toward Puerto Rico, which looked likely to take a direct hit.
- In stark UN speech, Trump threatens to "destroy" North Korea
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — President Donald Trump vowed Tuesday to "totally destroy North Korea" if the U.S. is forced to defend itself or its allies against the renegade nation's nuclear weapons program, making his case in a combative debut speech to the U.N. that laid out a stark, good-vs-evil view of a globe riven by chaos and turmoil.
- AP Interview: Phelps has 'no desire' to return to swimming
Michael Phelps wondered if watching others compete at the world championships would pique his desire for another comeback.
- Stanton needs one last surge to match Maris' 61 homers
MIAMI (AP) — Giancarlo Stanton asked to sit out a game — not so much because he was tired of playing, but because he was tired of making outs.
- Smashing: MLB home run record on track to fall Tuesday
NEW YORK (AP) — Giancarlo Stanton's smacks, Aaron Judge's jolts and all those dizzying long balls helped Major League Baseball move another poke closer to the inevitable.
- Timmons suspended indefinitely by Dolphins after going AWOL
MIAMI (AP) — Linebacker Lawrence Timmons was suspended indefinitely by the Miami Dolphins after he went AWOL on the eve of the team's season opener.
- Chiefs take over top spot in AP Pro32 poll; Falcons are 2nd
NEW YORK (AP) — Of the eight teams off to 2-0 starts this season, perhaps the most impressive has been the Kansas City Chiefs.