- Trump mocks critics: I'll accept election results _ if I win
DELAWARE, Ohio (AP) — Mocking his critics, Donald Trump pledged Thursday to fully accept the outcome of next month's presidential election — if he wins. The Republican said he reserved the right to contest questionable results, deepening his unsubstantiated assertions that the race against Hillary Clinton could be rigged against him.
- AP FACT CHECK: Sharp contrast between Gore in 2000 and Trump
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump, who's railed for months about a "rigged" political system, used the final presidential debate to defiantly say he won't decide until the election ends whether he will accept its results.
- Iraqi special forces join battle for Mosul, US soldier dies
BARTELLA, Iraq (AP) — In a significant escalation of the battle for Mosul, elite Iraqi special forces joined the fight Thursday, unleashing a pre-dawn assault on an Islamic State-held town east of the besieged city, and the U.S. military announced the first American combat death since the operation began.
- The Latest: US soldier dies of wounds from bombing in Iraq
BARTELLA, Iraq (AP) — The Latest on the campaign to retake the Iraqi city of Mosul from the Islamic State group (all times local):
- Turkey ramps up fight against Kurdish fighters in Syria
BEIRUT (AP) — Turkey escalated its offensive Thursday against Kurdish fighters in northern Syria, pounding them with airstrikes and artillery, and complicating the battle against the Islamic State group by Ankara and Washington, both NATO allies.
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The NCAA accused Louisville of four serious violations and criticized the conduct of coach Rick Pitino for failing to monitor a former basketball staffer who hired escorts and strippers for sex parties with recruits and players.
- NFL to reopen Brown investigation after abuse docs emerge
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — The NFL is going to re-open its investigation of New York Giants placekicker Josh Brown after police released journal entries and emails in which he admitted that he verbally and physically abused his former wife.
- Packers put RB Eddie Lacy on IR hours before Bears game
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — The Packers have put top running back Eddie Lacy on injured reserve, another blow to Green Bay's scuffling offense.
- Penn State former president calls aides' charges 'injustice'
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Former Penn State President Graham Spanier testified Thursday that he issued a statement the day two of his top lieutenants were charged in the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal, calling the allegations groundless, because he had developed deep trust of them.
- Celebrities among those long-suffering Cubs fans
CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Cubs are trying to do something that hasn't happened in the lifetime of anyone born in the last 108 years: Win a World Series.