- For Trump: Kinder words for immigrants, one new Cabinet pick
NEW YORK (AP) — Laying new groundwork for his presidency, Donald Trump chose retired Gen. John Kelly Wednesday to head his Homeland Security Department and offered newly sympathetic words for the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.
- Trumps taps retired Marine general John Kelly for DHS
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, whose last command included oversight of the Guantanamo Bay detention center, to run the Department of Homeland Security, people close to the transition team said Wednesday.
- Thousands take refuge in mosques after deadly Aceh quake
MEUREUDU, Indonesia (AP) — Thousands of people in the Indonesian province of Aceh took refuge for the night in mosques and temporary shelters after a strong earthquake Wednesday killed nearly 100 people and destroyed dozens of buildings.
- Prosecutor: Black church shooter had cold, hateful heart
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Dylann Roof had a "cold and hateful heart" when he pulled a pistol from his fanny pack during a Bible study last year and killed nine black church members as they closed their eyes for a final prayer, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
- APNewsBreak: Military targets handling of misconduct cases
WASHINGTON (AP) — Military leaders are trying to fix the lengthy, inconsistent process for investigating senior officers accused of misconduct, The Associated Press has learned. They are seeking to change a hodgepodge system in which investigations can drag on for years while taxpayers pay six-figure salaries to officers relegated to mid-level administrative posts.
- Emmert: 'Pleased' to see Penn State football thriving again
NEW YORK (AP) — NCAA President Mark Emmert says he is pleased to see how well Penn State's football team has bounced back from the sanctions the program received in 2012 after the Sandusky scandal.
- Oregon hires Willie Taggart as new head football coach
Oregon has hired Willie Taggart, who spent the last four seasons as head coach at South Florida, to take over the Ducks following the dismissal of Mark Helfrich.
- LeBron: No statement by not staying at Trump-branded hotel
NEW YORK (AP) â LeBron James said he wasn't trying to make a statement by not staying at a Donald Trump-branded hotel with the Cleveland Cavaliers, calling it a personal preference.
- Great rivalry game in KC for AFC West lead
Few games get the juices flowing more than a showdown for first place. Throw in one of sports' greatest rivalries, and the blood starts percolating.
- Ohio St., Michigan hold 14 of 25 AP All-Big Ten top spots
Ohio State and Michigan dominated the selections for The Associated Press All-Big Ten football team.