- Italy earthquake kills dozens, reduces towns to rubble
AMATRICE, Italy (AP) — A strong earthquake in central Italy reduced three towns to rubble as people slept early Wednesday, killing at least 73 people and injuring hundreds more as rescue crews raced to dig out survivors with bulldozers and their bare hands.
- The Latest: Death toll from earthquake in Italy climbs to 73
AMATRICE, Italy (AP) — The Latest on the earthquake in central Italy (all times local):
- Turkey in cross-border operation to free IS-held Syrian town
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — After a pre-dawn barrage of heavy artillery and airstrikes, Turkey sent tanks and special forces into Syria on Wednesday to help clear a border town of Islamic State militants, marking the NATO member's most significant military involvement so far in the Syria conflict.
- Blacks question Trump outreach delivered to white audiences
AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Black Republicans cheer Donald Trump for a newfound outreach to African-Americans, but say the GOP presidential nominee must take his message beyond arenas filled with white supporters and venture into the inner cities.
- Horrified by Trump, Democrats getting nostalgic about Romney
WASHINGTON (AP) — When President Barack Obama ran for re-election, Democrats made no secret of their disdain for Mitt Romney. That was all before Donald Trump.
- Raped and tortured by IS, Yazidi women recover in Germany
VILLINGEN-SCHWENNINGEN, Germany (AP) — The Yazidi girl had been in the safety of a refugee camp in Iraq for two weeks when she imagined she heard the voices of Islamic State fighters outside her tent.
- North Korean submarine missile launch shows improved ability
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A ballistic missile fired from a North Korean submarine on Wednesday flew about 500 kilometers (310 miles), the longest distance achieved by the North for such a weapon, Seoul officials said, putting all of South Korea, and possibly parts of Japan, within its striking distance.
- Powerful earthquake shakes central Myanmar
YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — A powerful earthquake measuring magnitude 6.8 shook central Myanmar on Wednesday, damaging scores of ancient Buddhist pagodas in the former capital of Bagan, a major tourist attraction, officials said.
- World's largest aircraft damaged on 2nd test flight
LONDON (AP) — The developer of the world's largest aircraft says the blimp-shaped airship sustained damage after it made a bumpy landing Wednesday on its second test flight in eastern England.
- Recordings of tiger sounds aim to help save wild population
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Tigers use a grunt-like snort called chuffing as a greeting, short roars for intimidation and long roars to find mates.
- Oh boy! Segedin homers, races to hospital for son's birth
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rob Segedin sprinted from the outfield to the dugout, got frenzied high-fives from teammates and flew down the stairs toward the clubhouse.
- 3 Olympic weightlifting gold medalists fail doping retests
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Three Olympic champion weightlifters from China and eight other medalists stand to be stripped of their titles after failing retests of their doping samples from the 2008 Olympics.
- Rangers put Josh Hamilton on unconditional release waivers
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Texas Rangers placed Josh Hamilton on unconditional release waivers Tuesday, though they hope his surgically rebuilt left knee is healthy enough to allow him to try for a spot with the team next season.
- Dodgers lose Anderson, Kazmir; tie record with 27 on DL
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Dodgers have placed left-handers Brett Anderson and Scott Kazmir on the disabled list, tying the 2012 Boston Red Sox for the major league record with 27 players on the DL this season.
- Swimmer Feigen apologizes for 'serious distraction' in Rio
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. swimmer James Feigen apologized for the "serious distraction" he and three teammates caused at a gas station during the Rio Olympics, saying he omitted facts in his statement to police.
- Katie Ledecky throwing out first pitch as Nats host Orioles
WASHINGTON (AP) — Swimmer Katie Ledecky is throwing out the ceremonial first pitch Wednesday night as the Washington Nationals host the Baltimore Orioles in game three of a four-game series.
- Premier League stars face early-season clampdown by refs
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — WWE-style grappling at corner kicks, manhandling of match officials, verbal abuse: Sometimes the beautiful game can take on an ugly side.
- Cowboys WR Dez Bryant out after concussion in practice
FRISCO, Texas (AP) — Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant will miss the next preseason game after suffering a concussion in practice.
- LEADING OFF: Hill debuts with Dodgers, Tanaka vs Iwakuma
A look at what's happening all around the majors today:
- Arrieta dominates for 8 innings, Cubs beat Padres 5-3
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Jake Arrieta might be starting a late-season push for an NL Cy Young Award. He's done it before.