- Spangenberg's pinch HR lifts Padres to 2-1 win
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Cory Spangenberg's first big league home run came on the first pitch he saw as a pinch hitter with one out in the ninth inning and gave the San Diego Padres a 2-1 victory against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday night.
- Houston's Carter quietly contending for HR title
HOUSTON (AP) — When strangers approach Chris Carter, he's ready for the question. His reply is usually something like: "No, I don't play for the Houston Texans."
- Orioles beat Reds 5-4 to extend lead in AL East
BALTIMORE (AP) — Bud Norris pitched six shutout innings, Nelson Cruz notched his career-high 91st RBI during a four-run first, and the Baltimore Orioles beat the Cincinnati Reds 5-4 Tuesday night.
- Perfect returns help Wozniacki return to Slam semi
NEW YORK (AP) — Caroline Wozniacki knew, as anyone paying attention does, that the woman she played in the U.S. Open quarterfinals, Sara Errani, does not hit booming serves.
- Posey, Giants rally for 12-7 win over Rockies
DENVER (AP) — Buster Posey homered, doubled twice and drove in four runs, rallying the San Francisco Giants past the Colorado Rockies 12-7 on Tuesday night.
- Taurasi lifts Mercury to 96-78 win over Lynx
PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi had 31 points, including a 50-footer at the end of the third quarter, to lead the Phoenix Mercury to a 96-78 win over the Minnesota Lynx on Tuesday night, putting the Mercury into the WNBA Finals.
- Flowers' 2 homers lift White Sox over Twins
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Tyler Flowers' first career multi-homer game lifted the Chicago White Sox to a 6-3 win over the Minnesota Twins in 10 innings on Tuesday night.
- J.D. Martinez hits 3-run homer, Tigers win 4-2
CLEVELAND (AP) — For eight innings, the Tigers couldn't connect in the clutch. They were exasperated, annoyed and seemingly on their way to a tough loss.