- Battle with IS kills senior Kurdish general, 8 of his troops
KIRKUK, Iraq (AP) — Clashes with Islamic State militants killed a senior Kurdish military commander and eight of his fighters just outside the disputed northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk on Friday, officials said.
- Ex-rap mogul 'Suge' Knight arrested in deadly hit-and-run
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) — Marion "Suge" Knight, the former rap music mogul with a long history of violent crimes, was arrested early Friday on suspicion of a hitting and killing a man with his car and then fleeing the crash near Los Angeles.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Jordan awaits proof hostage is alive after swap deadline
TOKYO (AP) — The fates of a Japanese journalist and Jordanian military pilot were unknown Friday, a day after the latest purported deadline for a possible prisoner swap passed with no further word from the Islamic State group holding them captive.
- US economic growth slows to 2.6 percent in fourth quarter
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. economic growth slowed in the final three months of 2014 as a big burst in consumer spending was offset by weakness in other areas.
- Djokovic beats defending champ Wawrinka to reach final
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Novak Djokovic did enough to beat defending champion Stan Wawrinka in a semifinal match that lacked the intensity of their recent five-setters, setting up an Australian Open final against long-time friend and rival Andy Murray.
- Marshawn Lynch talks about why he doesn't talk to the media
PHOENIX (AP) — Marshawn Lynch changed the script and fired back at his critics.
- A sluggish start for Tiger Woods in Phoenix
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Four holes into his first tournament of the year, Tiger Woods already was 4-over par and 10 shots out of the lead in the Phoenix Open.
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at Hernandez trial
FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — Jurors heard grim testimony Friday in the murder trial of former New England Patriots standout Aaron Hernandez, who has been portrayed by his lawyers as a man with "the world at his feet" and no reason to kill.
- Marathon champ Rita Jeptoo banned 2 years for doping
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Athletics Kenya says on Friday it has banned marathon champion Rita Jeptoo two years for doping.