- In 2014, US economy began shaky, finished strong
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. economy flexed its old muscles in 2014.
- 10th anniversary of tsunami is marked with tears
PERELIYA, Sri Lanka (AP) — A packed train in Sri Lanka that was swept off the tracks by waves as big as elephants. A boat patrolling off Thailand's shore hurled more than a mile inland. Streets in Indonesia turned into roaring rivers that carried people to their deaths.
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top threat
MOSCOW (AP) — Russia identified NATO as the nation's No. 1 military threat and raised the possibility of a broader use of precision conventional weapons to deter foreign aggression under a new military doctrine signed by President Vladimir Putin on Friday.
- Leaving Cuba: A father and son risk lives at sea
MIAMI (AP) — It was hot and dark and mosquitoes bit at his skin as 23-year-old Jose Fuente Lastre boarded a raft with eight other men, intent on fleeing Cuba.
- Pregnant woman taken off life support in Ireland
DUBLIN (AP) — A brain-dead pregnant woman was taken off life support Friday after a court ruled that her 18-week-old fetus was doomed to die — a case that exposed fear and confusion among doctors over how to apply Ireland's strict ban on abortion in an age of medical innovation.
- Cleveland reaches 50 years of sports futility
CLEVELAND (AP) — For this golden anniversary, there won't be any gifts exchanged or champagne-sipping celebrations.
- Chiefs QB Alex Smith out with lacerated spleen
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Alex Smith thought he had some indigestion. It turned out to be a lacerated spleen.
- Arizona's Lindley back at starter, Stanton has infection
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — More news surrounding the turbulent quarterback predicament of the Arizona Cardinals.
- Slumping New Jersey Devils fire coach Pete DeBoer
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — The New Jersey Devils have been on a slide since going to the Stanley Cup final in 2012, and coach Pete DeBoer paid the price.
- Seahawks' Lynch fined $11K for gesture on TD run
NEW YORK (AP) — Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has been fined $11,050 by the NFL for an inappropriate gesture while scoring a touchdown against Arizona last Sunday night.