- History _ and hostility _ as Clinton ascends to nomination
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A glass ceiling is shattering at the Democratic National Convention as Hillary Clinton ascends to the presidential nomination with Tuesday's roll call of the states, the first woman to lead a major party into a White House race.
- Sanders supporters: Unmoved by plea to support Clinton
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Undeterred by Sen. Bernie Sanders' plea for party unity behind Hillary Clinton, Sanders supporters chanting "Bernie or bust!" took to the streets under the hot sun Tuesday for more demonstrations on Day 2 of the Democratic convention.
- IS group claims attack that killed 85-year-old French priest
SAINT-ETIENNE-DU-ROUVRAY, France (AP) — Two attackers slit the throat of an 85-year-old priest celebrating Mass in a French church, killing him and gravely injuring one of the few worshippers present before being shot to death by police. A nun who escaped said she saw the attackers take a video of themselves and "give a sermon in Arabic" around the altar.
- Many factors make France the top IS terror target in Europe
PARIS (AP) — When militants loyal to the Islamic State group seek to inflict pain on Europe, France is their preferred target, a grim reality borne out yet again with Tuesday's knife slaughter of a Catholic priest.
- Rare mass killing raises questions about security in Japan
TOKYO (AP) — The killing of 19 people at a home for the mentally disabled raised questions about whether Japan's reputation as one of the safest countries in the world is creating a false sense of security.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics, done for year
Roger Federer says he will miss the Rio Olympics and the rest of the tennis season to protect his surgically repaired left knee.
- At least 86 athletes from Russian Olympic team banned so far
MOSCOW (AP) — At least 86 athletes from the 387-strong Russian Olympic team announced last week have so far been barred from the Rio Games in connection with the country's doping scandal.
- The Latest: 22 Russian rowers rejected for Olympics
MOSCOW (AP) — The Latest on the Rio Games (all times local to Rio de Janeiro):
- Injury anxieties grow but Bolt says 'sport needs me to win'
LONDON (AP) — Whatever controversy is raging in the Olympic world there's one constant: Usain Bolt's bravado and self-confidence.
- Masters champ Danny Willett eyes greener pastures at PGA
SPRINGFIELD, N.J. (AP) — Since winning the Masters, Danny Willett has taken his green jacket to Wimbledon, thrown out the first pitch at a New York Yankees game and enjoyed the celebrity that goes with being a major champion. Add in fatherhood and it's been a couple of fun months.