- Death toll climbs to 36 in Oakland warehouse fire
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The death toll in the Oakland warehouse fire climbed to 36 Monday with more bodies still feared buried in the blackened ruins, and families anxiously awaited word of their missing loved ones.
- Trump taps former campaign rival Carson as housing secretary
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump, moving to complete formation of his Cabinet and decide other key posts, chose former campaign rival Ben Carson on Monday to be secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Beijing faces decision on how to respond to Trump's tweets
BEIJING (AP) — Chinese leaders face a challenge: How to deal with Donald Trump.
- Italy faces political, economic uncertainty after referendum
MILAN (AP) — Italian voters dealt Premier Matteo Renzi a resounding rebuke by rejecting his proposed constitutional reforms, plunging Europe's fourth-largest economy into political and economic uncertainty Monday.
- UN refugee agency hands out aid to those uprooted from Mosul
KHAZIR, Iraq (AP) — The U.N. refugee agency distributed aid on Monday to dozens of Iraqi families uprooted from their homes in and around the city of Mosul, warning that their needs will only increase as winter progresses and temperatures continue to fall below freezing.
- Villanova back at No. 1 in AP Top 25 men's hoops poll
Reigning national champion Villanova is No. 1 in the AP Top 25 men's college basketball poll for the second time in school history.
- Sepp Blatter loses appeal at CAS against 6-year FIFA ban
GENEVA (AP) — Sepp Blatter lost his appeal against a six-year ban by FIFA on Monday, and now has more serious legal cases lined up against him.
- LEADING OFF: What to watch at the baseball winter meetings
A look at what's happening today at the baseball winter meetings in Oxon Hill, Maryland:
- Chicago Bulls suspend guard Rajon Rondo 1 game for conduct
CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Bulls have suspended Rajon Rondo for one game for conduct detrimental to the team.
- The Latest: Jury selection begins in Saints star's death
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Latest on the Will Smith shooting-death trial (all times local):