- More than 700 feared dead in recent Mediterranean crossings
POZZALLO, Sicily (AP) — Survivor accounts have pushed to more than 700 the number of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks over three days in the past week, even as European ships saved thousands of others in daring rescue operations.
- Syria's cease-fire strengthens al-Qaida branch
BEIRUT (AP) — Al-Qaida's branch in Syria has recruited thousands of fighters, including teenagers, and taken territory from government forces in a successful offensive in the north, illustrating how the cease-fire put in place by Russia and the United States to weaken the militants has in many ways backfired.
- 3 people still missing after floods in Kansas and Texas
HOUSTON (AP) — At least three people were still missing Sunday after being swept away in Texas and Kansas, and slowly rising rivers in southeast Texas have led to numerous evacuations, including two prisons.
- Veterans sites in California, Kentucky, Virginia damaged
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Memorials to veterans in a Los Angeles neighborhood and a town in Kentucky, as well as a Civil War veterans cemetery in Virginia, were damaged as the nation prepares to mark Memorial Day, officials said.
- Storm safe rooms as a wedding gift? Sure, in Tornado Alley
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Never mind toasters, blenders and slow cookers. Joplin, Missouri, tornado survivors Kayla and Ricky Smith had a more practical request for a wedding gift — shelter from the next big storm.
- The hype is back at Indy and everyone wants to win the 100th
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Tony Kanaan spent the final practice before the Indianapolis 500 talking to the race track.
- The Latest: Celebs hit Indy 500 for 100th running of race
The Latest on motorsport's busiest day, with Formula One's Monaco Grand Prix followed by the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 (all times local):
- The Latest: Wawrinka on song advancing to French quarters
PARIS (AP) — The Latest on the French Open (all times local):
- Thompson's 41 points, 11 3s save Golden State's season
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Stephen Curry turned things over to Klay Thompson, and his Splash Brother delivered.
- Police: Pelicans guard Dejean-Jones fatally shot in Dallas
DALLAS (AP) — New Orleans Pelicans guard Bryce Dejean-Jones was fatally shot after breaking down the door to a Dallas apartment, authorities said Saturday.