- South Carolina flood: Door-to-door searches, swamped roads
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Days of torrential rains kept much of South Carolina and its capital gripped by floodwaters early Monday as emergency responders promised renewed door-to-door searches for anyone still trapped after a weekend deluge and hundreds of rescues.
- Bahamas search for lost US ship finds debris but no answers
NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) — Aircraft and ships searching off the Bahamas islands for a U.S. cargo ship that lost contact during Hurricane Joaquin have found more debris and clues but no definitive word yet on the fate of the vessel or the 33 people on board.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Syrian refugees increasingly return to war zones in homeland
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan (AP) — Growing numbers of Syrian refugees are returning to their war-ravaged homeland from Jordan because they can't survive in exile after drastic aid cuts, can't afford to pay smugglers to sneak them into Europe or are simply homesick.
- Mass shootings grab headlines, but others go under radar
The numbers jump off the page: Nine dead on an Oregon college campus, 12 in a theater in Aurora, Colorado. Thirteen soldiers and civilians at Fort Hood, Texas; 32 people at Virginia Tech; 13 at a community center in Binghamton, New York. Twenty-six dead — 20 of them young children — at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.
- Spiller emerges in Saints' 26-20 OT win over Cowboys
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Running back C.J. Spiller came to New Orleans as a free agent this past offseason figuring that his speed and versatility would make him an ideal fit for coach Sean Payton's offense.
- ICYMI in NFL's Week 4: At 1-3, Chip Kelly's Eagles in a hole
LANDOVER, Md. (AP) — There's been a fascination with so much of what Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly has done since arriving in the NFL from Oregon. Now that the last-place Eagles are 1-3 and DeMarco Murray is not hiding his unhappiness, the attention will only grow.
- AP Top 25 Heat Check: If not Ohio State, who should be No. 1
If not Ohio State than what team should be No. 1 in the AP Top 25?
- Aces wild: Playoffs open with Astros-Yankees, Cubs-Pirates
Dallas Keuchel started the All-Star game, won 20 times and twice dominated the New York Yankees.
- Playoff Push: Kershaw aims at redemption, stars set to debut
The Major League Baseball playoffs begin this week, starting Tuesday night with the American League wild-card game at Yankee Stadium.