- Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve 'sin of abortion'
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis is applying his vision of a merciful church to women who have had abortions, easing their path toward forgiveness and saying he realizes some felt they had no choice but to make "this agonizing and painful decision."
- US stocks plunge after bleak Chinese manufacturing report
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks plunged again Tuesday, continuing a rocky ride for Wall Street, after an economic report out of China rekindled fears that the world's second-largest economy is slowing more than previously anticipated.
- In climate bid, Obama stares down melting Alaska glacier
SEWARD, Alaska (AP) — President Barack Obama stared down a melting glacier in Alaska on Tuesday in a dramatic use of his presidential pulpit to sound the alarm on climate change.
- Police in Illinois hunt for 3 suspects after officer killed
FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — Police with helicopters, dogs and armed with rifles were conducting a massive manhunt in northern Illinois on Tuesday after an officer was fatally shot while pursuing a group of men.
- Hungary bars migrants from trains; smugglers wait in wings
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary stunned migrants and European partners Tuesday by blocking asylum-seekers from its westbound trains, a move that raised new challenges for the EU's passport-free travel zone and could drive many into the reckless hands of cross-border smugglers.
- No. 2 Halep, No. 4 Wozniacki avoid upset bug at US Open
NEW YORK (AP) — Caroline Wozniacki crashed John Isner's post-match news conference, needling her good friend for arriving late to his interview session and delaying the start of hers.
- Latest on US Open: Federer credits Agassi, Sampras, others
NEW YORK (AP) — The latest on the U.S. Open (all times local):
- Rio head vows to introduce viral testing in Olympic waters
LONDON (AP) — Olympic organizers promised Tuesday to introduce viral testing in the polluted waters in Rio de Janeiro where about 1,400 athletes will compete in next year's games.
- USOC endorses Los Angeles for 2024 Olympics bid
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The U.S. Olympic Committee on Tuesday named Los Angeles as its candidate for the 2024 Games, replacing Boston's soured bid and marking a comeback for LA's dream of becoming a three-time Olympic host.
- '84 Olympics were shining moment for Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles has a grand idea of how to celebrate the 40th anniversary of its successful role as host of the 1984 Olympics. Do it again.