- Under Iraqi town, IS militants built network of tunnels
IRBIL, Iraq (AP) — Under the Iraqi town of Sinjar, Islamic State group militants built a network of tunnels, complete with sleeping quarters, wired with electricity and fortified with sandbags. There, they had boxes of U.S.-made ammunition, medicines and copies of the Quran stashed on shelves.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace
MOSCOW (AP) — Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death; video released
CHICAGO (AP) — A white Chicago police officer who shot a black teenager 16 times last year was charged with first-degree murder Tuesday, hours before the city released a video of the killing that many people fear could spark unrest.
- The Latest: Protesters in downtown Chicago disperse
CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi
BEIJING (AP) — The murders of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- Oklahoma up to 3rd, Iowa 4th in playoff rankings; ND 6th
Oklahoma moved into third and Iowa was fourth in the College Football Playoff rankings as Notre Dame slipped to No. 6 on Tuesday night.
- Johnny Manziel benched by Browns for off-field behavior
BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Dropped from starter to third-stringer — without playing a game.
- Manning's absence extended as he's fitted with walking cast
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Peyton Manning will spend the next week in a walking cast and is expected to miss at least two more games with a torn plantar fascia in his left foot.
- No. 5 Kansas has no trouble beating UCLA 92-73 at Maui
LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Perry Ellis scored 24 points on 9-of-12 shooting and No. 5 Kansas had another easy win on the way to the Maui Jim Maui Invitational championship game.
- No. 19 Vanderbilt cruises past Wake Forest 86-64 in Maui
LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Vanderbilt has reached the championship game of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational without really being tested.