- Obama faces tough options in Iraq and Syria
WASHINGTON (AP) — At the heart of President Barack Obama's quandary over the Islamic State militants is their haven in Syria.
- US, EU, NATO condemn Russian aid convoy move
LUHANSK, Ukraine (AP) — Frustrated by a week of delays, Russia sent over 130 aid trucks rolling into rebel-held eastern Ukraine on Friday without the approval of the government in Kiev. Ukraine called the move a "direct invasion" that aimed to provoke an international incident.
- Dempsey hits Islamic militant 'end-of-days' vision
WASHINGTON (AP) — America's top-ranked military officer says the surging Islamic State group has an "apocalyptic, end-of-days strategic vision" in the Middle East and cannot be defeated unless the United States and a coalition of partners confront it head-on in Syria.
- Gaza militants kill 18 alleged spies for Israel
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Gaza gunmen killed 18 alleged spies for Israel on Friday, including seven who were lined up behind a mosque with bags over their heads and shot in front of hundreds of people. The killings came in response to Israel's deadly airstrike against three top Hamas military commanders.
- Ebola spreads in Nigeria with 2 new cases
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Two alarming new cases of Ebola have emerged in Nigeria, widening the circle of people sickened beyond the immediate group of caregivers who treated a dying airline passenger in one of Africa's largest cities.
- Good start for Van Pelt in playoff opener
PARAMUS, N.J. (AP) — Bo Van Pelt began the FedEx Cup playoffs by going fishing for stripers, which is not unusual for a guy living in Oklahoma.
- Manziel fined $12,000 for middle finger flip
CLEVELAND (AP) — Johnny Manziel has been slapped on the finger.
- Browns' Gordon in limbo awaiting NFL ruling
CLEVELAND (AP) — Browns star wide receiver Josh Gordon says the only place he can find peace is on the football field. His time there could be running short.
- Phelps gets relay gold on international comeback
GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) — Michael Phelps is back on top of the podium.
- Source: Wolves get Young as part of Love trade
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minnesota Timberwolves secured the final piece they wanted in a blockbuster Kevin Love trade.