- The Latest: Belarus editor: Nobel Prize puts nation on map
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Latest news from the awarding of the Nobel Prize in literature.
- EU agrees to speed migrant deportation, buttress borders
LUXEMBOURG (AP) — The European Union on Thursday took measures to buttress its porous external borders and toughen up its migrant return program in an attempt to build a credible refugee policy that would continue to embrace those fleeing for their lives yet punish those seeking economic gain.
- McCarthy withdraws candidacy for speaker
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a stunning move, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy withdrew his candidacy for House speaker Thursday, throwing Congress' Republican leadership into chaos.
- VW executive: Any fix for car owners could take year or more
WASHINGTON (AP) — Volkswagen's top U.S. executive apologized Thursday as the emissions-rigging scandal engulfing the world's largest automaker deepened and members of Congress said the company violated the public's trust.
- Clinton server hack attempts came from China, Korea, Germany
WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton's private email server, containing an electronic inventory of some 55,000 pages of emails from her stint as secretary of state, was repeatedly hit by attempted cyberattacks originating in China, South Korea and Germany in 2014, according to a congressional document obtained by The Associated Press.
- FIFA suspends Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for 90 days
ZURICH (AP) — Sepp Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini, the former France great who had been favored to take over as FIFA leader, were both suspended for 90 days Thursday, plunging soccer's governing body deeper into crisis.
- Pirates head into offseason after another October stumble
PITTSBURGH (AP) — The man who symbolized the Pittsburgh Pirates' resurgence offered one final bit of advice before hopping onto his custom-made, Batman-inspired ride and zooming off into retirement.
- Arrieta, Cubs silence Pirates 4-0 to win NL wild-card game
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Maybe it's time to stop treating the Chicago Cubs like they're too young to be here.
- Americans jump out to another lead in Presidents Cup
INCHEON, South Korea (AP) — The Presidents Cup wasn't an hour old when Nick Price looked at the scoreboard and had that sinking feeling.
- Messi to stand trial in Spain on 3 counts of tax fraud
MADRID (AP) — Lionel Messi will stand trial in Spain on three counts of tax fraud and could be sentenced to nearly two years in prison if found guilty.