- The Latest: Alderman says 'right decision' to fire McCarthy
CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer and an online threat against the University of Chicago (all times local):
- Chicago mayor fires police chief in wake of video release
CHICAGO (AP) — Mayor Rahm Emanuel fired the city's police superintendent Tuesday, a week after the release of a dash-cam video that showed a white Chicago officer fatally shooting a black teenager 16 times.
- US sending more special ops forces to fight Islamic State
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. is expanding its special operations force in Iraq and Syria to help fight Islamic State militants, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Tuesday.
- Appalachia grasps for hope as coal jobs fade
WELCH, W.Va. (AP) — The seams of coal in some of Eddie Asbury's mines in McDowell County are so thin workers can barely squeeze down them. They enter on carts nearly flat on their backs, the roof of the mine coursing by just a few inches in front of their faces. They don't stand up all day.
- Rudder problem, pilot actions led to Indonesia AirAsia crash
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — A rudder control system problem that had occurred nearly two dozen times in the previous 12 months coupled with the pilots' response led to last year's crash of an AirAsia plane in Indonesia that killed all 162 people on board, investigators said Tuesday.
- Ravens return blocked field goal on last play, stun Browns
CLEVELAND (AP) — Brent Urban just wanted a chance to play. Will Hill wanted redemption.
- Oregon offensive coordinator Frost is new UCF coach
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Central Florida went west to find its next football coach.
- LeBron on Kobe: "I wanted to be just like him"
CLEVELAND (AP) — LeBron James says Kobe Bryant inspired him to greatness and he was "kind of sad" when he learned the Lakers star is retiring.
- Bryant kicks off hoops goodbye tour in hometown of Philly
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Kobe Bryant's farewell tour begins in the city that loves and hates him.
- Tigers celebration: Swinney promises pizza party at Clemson
CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) — Dabo Swinney says there pizza party he promised will be held at Clemson on Sunday — whether the Tigers win or lose the Atlantic Coast Conference game on Saturday night.