- AP sources: House, Senate leaders reach deal on tax package
WASHINGTON (AP) — House and Senate GOP leaders forged an agreement Wednesday on a sweeping overhaul of the nation's tax laws, paving the way for final votes next week to slash taxes for businesses, give many Americans modest cuts and deliver the first major legislative accomplishment to President Donald Trump.
- Justice official defends Mueller, sees no cause for firing
WASHINGTON (AP) — Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, facing congressional questions about anti-Donald Trump text messages exchanged between two FBI officials assigned to the Russia probe, defended special counsel Robert Mueller on Wednesday and said he had seen no cause to fire him or received encouragement to do so.
- Would-be suicide bomber in New York City faces court hearing
NEW YORK (AP) — The man accused of carrying out a bomb attack in New York City's subway system was influenced by the sermons and writings of a radical Muslim preacher, Bangladeshi officials said Wednesday in the hours before the man was expected to have his first court appearance in the U.S.
- Minnesota Lt. Gov. Tina Smith named to fill Franken seat
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton appointed Lt. Gov. Tina Smith on Wednesday to fill fellow Democrat Al Franken's Senate seat until a special election in November, setting up his longtime and trusted adviser for a potentially bruising 2018 special election.
- Analysis: Trump bets on Moore and suffers stinging defeat
WASHINGTON (AP) — Rarely has a sitting president rallied behind such a scandal-plagued candidate the way Donald Trump did with Alabama's Roy Moore. And rarely has that bet failed so spectacularly.
- College coaches' salaries increase despite threat of new tax
WASHINGTON (AP) — A potential new tax on seven-figure salaries for employees of non-profits hasn't deterred schools from doling out huge contracts to new coaches.
- Froome found to have double the legal limit of asthma drug
PARIS (AP) — Chris Froome failed a doping test during the Spanish Vuelta in September and is facing a suspension from cycling ahead of his attempt to win a record-equaling fifth Tour de France title next year.
- Wife of Luc Robitaille tweets about Trump elevator encounter
NEW YORK (AP) — The wife of Hall of Fame hockey player Luc Robitaille has tweeted about an encounter with Donald Trump more than two decades ago in an elevator at Madison Square Garden.
- Prosecutor makes closing arguments at soccer bribery trial
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York prosecutor says three former South American soccer officials charged in a corruption scandal failed to protect the interests of the sport's governing bodies.
- Orioles star Machado could move _ new position, or new team
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — Baltimore Orioles star Manny Machado could be on the move.