- North Korea deports US tourist and Korean War vet
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea on Saturday freed an 85-year-old U.S. veteran of the Korean War after a weekslong detention, ending the saga of Merrill Newman's attempt to visit the North as a tourist six decades after he oversaw a group of South Korean wartime guerrillas still loathed by Pyongyang.
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — In their first statement since his death, Nelson Mandela's family says they've "lost a great man, a son of the soil."
- Hagel outlines new weapons sale plan for Gulf
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel opened the door for the U.S. to sell missile defense and other weapons systems to U.S.-friendly Gulf nations, with an eye toward boosting their abilities to counter Iran's ballistic missiles, even as global powers ink a nuclear deal with Tehran.
- Snow, sleet, ice hits large swath of US
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Millions hunkered down for icy conditions expected to last through the weekend from Texas to Ohio to Tennessee as the cold snap that covered much of the nation knocked out power and made roads treacherous Saturday.
- Nigella Lawson: A brand blemished but unbowed
When celebrity chefs cut themselves, how much they bleed is a matter of brand.
- AP Source: Robinson Cano, Mariners reach agreement
SEATTLE (AP) — Robinson Cano is trading pinstripes for the Pacific Northwest.
- AP sources: Beltran, Yanks agree at $45M, 3 years
NEW YORK (AP) — Carlos Beltran is coming back to New York, this time to the Bronx.
- Texans fire coach Gary Kubiak
HOUSTON (AP) — Gary Kubiak pulled the Texans out of the NFL basement and remains the only coach to take them to the playoffs.
- Petersen leaving Boise State for Washington
SEATTLE (AP) — After all the other schools that called over the years and were sent away, it was Washington that finally hooked Chris Petersen.
- Woods takes 2-shot lead into the weekend
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — For the final tournament at Sherwood Country Club, Tiger Woods seems intent on leaving a lasting impression.