- Wing part could help solve what happened to MH370
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion (AP) — A barnacle-encrusted wing part that washed up on a remote Indian Ocean island could help solve one of aviation's greatest mysteries, as investigators work to connect it to the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished more than a year ago.
- Afghan Taliban confirm Mullah Omar's death, choose successor
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban confirmed the death of longtime leader Mullah Mohammad Omar and appointed his successor Thursday, as a new round of peace talks was indefinitely postponed amid concerns over how committed the new leadership is to ending the militant group's 14-year insurgency.
- Q&A: A look at the new leader of Afghanistan's Taliban
Mullah Mohammad Akhtar Mansoor, who has been tapped to succeed Mullah Mohammad Omar as the Taliban's leader, is said to have close ties with authorities in Pakistan.
- AP Investigation: Olympic teams to swim, boat in Rio's filth
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.
- Defense, DA argue reasons to spare Colorado gunman's life
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) — Defense lawyers for James Holmes made one more appeal for mercy Thursday, urging jurors to consider mental illness in his sentencing even though they rejected his insanity claim when they convicted him of murdering 12 people and trying to kill 70 others at a Colorado movie theater.
- Brady lawsuit transferred from Minnesota to New York court
NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Brady's lawsuit against the NFL in which he wants his four-game suspension overturned will be heard in New York instead of Minnesota.
- Blue Jays land Price in Toronto's 2nd big trade of week
DETROIT (AP) — Toronto acquired All-Star left-hander David Price from the Detroit Tigers on Thursday, the second major move in less than a week by the Blue Jays as they chase their first postseason appearance since 1993.
- Dodgers bolster pitching in huge deal with Braves, Marlins
ATLANTA (AP) — The first-place Los Angeles Dodgers bolstered their pitching staff on the eve of the trade deadline, completing a 13-player deal with the Atlanta Braves and Miami Marlins on Thursday that sent two starters and two relievers to the NL West leader.
- Hamels presence in Philly before expected deal to Texas
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Cole Hamels' locker was still intact in Philadelphia's clubhouse, as was Matt Harrison's in Texas' locker room.