- Police outside cop funeral turn backs on NYC mayor
NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of officers outside the church where a funeral was held for a policeman killed along with his partner in an ambush shooting turned their backs on the mayor as he spoke during Saturday's service.
- Key developments in police-communities tension
The killings of two unarmed blacks by white police officers in Missouri and New York this summer touched off protests and a national debate over police conduct that intensified after grand juries refused to indict the officers.
- N. Korea uses racial slur against Obama over hack
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea blamed its recent Internet outage on the United States on Saturday and hurled racially charged insults at President Barack Obama over the hacking row involving the movie "The Interview."
- US mission in Havana to become embassy amid thaw
HAVANA (AP) — A half-century after Washington severed relations with Cuba, the United States' seven-story mission looms over Havana's seaside Malecon boulevard as the largest diplomatic outpost in the country.
- Agonizing, lonely search for missing kids in China
BEIJING (AP) — In the grainy video, Zhang Xiuhong can see her daughter ride her bike down a country road on her way to school one spring afternoon six years ago.
- Devils replace DeBoer with 3-headed coaching staff
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — The New Jersey Devils are replacing the fired Pete DeBoer with a three-headed coaching staff.
- Sports deaths: elegant Tony Gwynn, Jean Beliveau
For one, the tool of choice was a bat. For the other, a stick.
- Cleveland reaches 50 years of sports futility
CLEVELAND (AP) — For this golden anniversary, there won't be any gifts exchanged or champagne-sipping celebrations.
- Chiefs QB Alex Smith out with lacerated spleen
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Alex Smith thought he had some indigestion. It turned out to be a lacerated spleen.
- Rockets top Grizzlies in overtime in Smith's debut
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Josh Smith immediately paid dividends for the Houston Rockets, while the Memphis Grizzlies remained spiraling on their longest losing streak of the season.