- Scientists' colossal squid exam a kraken good show
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — It was a calm morning in Antarctica's remote Ross Sea, during the season when the sun never sets, when Capt. John Bennett and his crew hauled up a creature with tentacles like fire hoses and eyes like dinner plates from a mile below the surface.
- Officials beg pastor, strip club owner to end feud
COSHOCTON, Ohio (AP) — Officials are pleading for a pastor and an Ohio strip club owner to stop weekly protesting of each other's establishments over a years-long feud.
- Man wanted for robbery arrested at Frisbee tourney
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — A man wanted for an armed bank robbery in New York eluded authorities for four years until they caught up with him while he played at an ultimate Frisbee tournament in Oregon.
- Boa constrictor captured after escaping Idaho cage
NAMPA, Idaho (AP) — A 9-foot Columbian boa constrictor named Trinity that escaped its southwest Idaho cage has been found after two days on the loose.
- Chinese city creates cellphone sidewalk lane
BEIJING (AP) — Taking a cue from an American TV program, the Chinese city of Chongqing has created a smartphone sidewalk lane, offering a path for those too engrossed in messaging and tweeting to watch where they're going.
- California nudist camp accused of stealing water
LOS GATOS, Calif. (AP) — Officials in Northern California are accusing a nudist resort of stealing water during the state's historic drought.
- Police: 2 boys confess to preschool pumpkin heist
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Two juvenile suspects have confessed to picking clean a pumpkin patch that was cultivated by New Mexico preschoolers, police said Friday.