- How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded.
- Iraq launches operation to retake Tikrit from Islamic State
BAGHDAD (AP) — Backed by allied Shiite, Sunni and Iranian fighters, Iraqi security forces launched a large-scale military operation Monday to recapture Saddam Hussein's hometown from the Islamic State extremist group, a major step in a campaign to reclaim territory in northern Iraq controlled by the militants.
- Obama-Netanyahu relations never promised happily-ever-after
WASHINGTON (AP) — This was never happily-ever-after waiting to happen.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
- Video reports conflict in probe of Putin critic's slaying
MOSCOW (AP) — The investigation into the killing of Boris Nemtsov, a fierce critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin who was gunned down not far from the Kremlin, faced conflicting reports Monday about possible surveillance footage of his slaying.
- Homeland Security funding deal elusive
WASHINGTON (AP) — With a partial shutdown of the Homeland Security Department possible at week's end, Speaker John Boehner says the House wants to enter talks with the Senate on a final bill funding the agency. Senate Democrats are not interested in joining those talks.
- Los Angeles police kill man in struggle captured on video
LOS ANGELES (AP) — In a fatal encounter captured on video, three Los Angeles police officers shot and killed a man on the city's Skid Row during a struggle over one of the officers' guns, authorities said.
- Covert 'body sculptor' says clients chose her over surgeons
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — An aspiring hip-hop artist who boasts about her talent for underground "body sculpting" has one last chance to impress a jury before the panel weighs murder charges against her in a dancer's death.
- Veronica Roth working on new series; 1st book due in 2017
NEW YORK (AP) — Veronica Roth fans can start the countdown.
- First Look: Samsung gets a lot right with new S6 phones
NEW YORK (AP) — Samsung's new Galaxy smartphones improve in two major areas: design and picture quality.
- Harden's 33 points leads Rockets over Cavs 105-103 in OT
HOUSTON (AP) — James Harden has been putting up MVP-caliber numbers all season for the Houston Rockets.
- Curry scores 37, leads Warriors from 26 down to beat Celtics
BOSTON (AP) — When you're sitting on the NBA's best record like the Golden State Warriors, you don't have to stress over every single game.
- Fighting in eastern Ukraine displaces Donetsk's soccer team
LVIV, Ukraine (AP) — The sleek stadium, built six years ago and host to some of Europe's biggest soccer matches, is silent. It sits in the middle of the city of Donetsk, a war zone controlled by pro-Russian separatists battling Ukrainian troops.
- Johnson shows he's still the man to beat with Atlanta win
HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — One by one, Jimmie Johnson picked off all the drivers ahead of him.
- Jimmie Johnson pulls away for another Atlanta Sprint Cup win
HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — The season just started. The calendar hasn't even turned to spring. Yet Jimmie Johnson has all but wrapped up a shot at his record-tying seventh NASCAR Sprint Cup title.