- Unclear whether oil, objects found in sea linked to lost jet
SURABAYA, Indonesia (AP) — An Indonesian helicopter searching for the missing AirAsia jetliner saw two oily spots in the water Monday, and an Australian search plane spotted objects elsewhere in the Java Sea, but it was too early to know whether either was connected to the aircraft and its 162 passengers and crew.
- AirAsia's brash CEO now searches for right words
NEW YORK (AP) — Tony Fernandes is more than just the CEO of AirAsia: He's the brash personality and cheerleader-like figure who gives the discount carrier its soul.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Police boss urges more dialogue, less rhetoric
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City's police commissioner called for a "lot less rhetoric and a lot more dialogue" to defuse the tension between police officers and the population they protect.
- Obama warns GOP he plans to use veto pen in 2015
HONOLULU (AP) — Warning from President Barack Obama to congressional Republicans: I have a veto pen and, come January, I won't be afraid to use it.
- Dozens still trapped on Greek ferry as 49 reach land
BARI, Italy (AP) — Exhausted and cold but safe, a group of 49 people arrived at the Italian port of Bari Monday after they were rescued from a Greek ferry that caught fire in the Adriatic Sea. Some 150 people remained trapped on the smoke-filled vessel adrift in frigid temperatures and rough seas between Italy and Albania.
- Young generation no slouches at volunteering
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tired of hearing people grouse about a tuned-out, apathetic younger generation?
- Afghans fleeing war now face brutal winter
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Thousands of Afghans are pouring into makeshift camps in the capital where they face a harsh winter as the Taliban return to areas once cleared by foreign forces, who this week are marking the end of their combat mission.
- Surfer survives shark bite off Central California
LOS OSOS, Calif. (AP) — A man surfing on the Central California coast was dragged under water by a juvenile great white shark and bitten in the hip on Sunday before he could paddle to shore, where he received help from two doctors who happened to be on the beach, a witness said Sunday.
- Chris Rock and wife Malaak Compton-Rock headed for divorce
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Chris Rock filed for divorce from his wife Malaak Compton-Rock, a statement from his representative confirmed Sunday.
- Harbaugh, 49ers agree to part ways
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Jim Harbaugh gathered his players and told them he is leaving, and they joined their voices for one final, familiar chant: "Who's got it better than us? No-body!"
- Ravens back in playoffs, earn AFC wild card
The Baltimore Ravens are back in the playoffs, while the Seattle Seahawks will be playing at home in them.
- Steelers top Bengals 27-17 to win AFC North
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Ben Roethlisberger spoke quietly while teammates raucously pulled on AFC North champion T-shirts around him. The Pittsburgh quarterback has been here before.
- Orton, Bills beat disinterested Patriots 17-9
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — Safe on the sideline, Tom Brady watched the Buffalo Bills finish with their first winning record in 10 seasons.
- Shiffrin fastest in 1st run of World Cup slalom
KUEHTAI, Austria (AP) — American teenager Mikaela Shiffrin led a women's World Cup slalom after the first run on Monday, positioning herself for a first podium finish in the discipline this season.