- Obama and Trump hurled insults, now trade pleasantries
WASHINGTON (AP) — Did anyone see it coming, the apparent new rapport between President Barack Obama and President-elect Donald Trump?
- Aid groups descend on Indonesia quake zone; deaths reach 102
MEUREUDU, Indonesia (AP) — Humanitarian organizations descended on Indonesia's Aceh province Thursday as the government promised tons of emergency aid and officials raced to assess the full extent of damage from an earthquake that killed more than 100 people.
- AP PHOTOS: Indonesian towns reel from earthquake devastation
PIDIE JAYA, Indonesia (AP) — Damage from the earthquake that shook Indonesia's Aceh province on Wednesday is extensive in towns near the epicenter. A market was leveled, and other buildings reduced to chunks of cement and twisted rebar.
- Pirates preying on Venezuelan fishermen as industry unravels
PUNTA DE ARAYA, Venezuela (AP) — The pirates had killed Flaco Marval's brother and two cousins, and word was they were coming for the rest of the family.
- The Latest: ICRC and Red Crescent evacuate 148 from Aleppo
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the conflict in Syria (all times local):
- Assad supporters see domino effect in Aleppo government win
ALEPPO, Syria (AP) — Aleppo shakes with explosions and gunfire day and night in both the government- and rebel-held sides of the divided Syrian city. But for supporters of President Bashar Assad, there is a growing sense of imminent victory.
- S. Korea's parliament sets up presidential impeachment vote
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea's opposition-controlled parliament introduced an impeachment motion Thursday against President Park Geun-hye, setting up a likely vote Friday on whether to suspend her powers over a huge political scandal.
- Raging Oakland warehouse fire trapped victims in smoke
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The fire that killed 36 people during a party at an Oakland warehouse started on the ground floor and quickly raged, with smoke billowing into the second level and trapping victims whose only escape route was through the flames, federal investigators said Wednesday.
- Federal judge halts recount, sealing Trump's Michigan win
DETROIT (AP) — A federal judge who ordered Michigan to begin its recount effectively ended it on Wednesday, tying his decision to a state court ruling that found Green Party candidate Jill Stein had no legal standing to request another look at ballots.
- Oklahoma's Westbrook takes small-town skills to big stage
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — Dede Westbrook looked like a contortionist at the end his 29-yard touchdown grab against Baylor.
- Nationals get CF Eaton from White Sox for 3 young pitchers
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — The Washington Nationals did make a deal with the Chicago White Sox during their hometown winter meetings, after all, only it was for center fielder Adam Eaton, not lefty Chris Sale.
- AP source: Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen — a very rich spot, too.
- Cubs get closer Wade Davis from Royals for OF Jorge Soler
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — Wade Davis already had closed out a World Series. And that was part of his appeal for the Chicago Cubs.
- Gimme a hundred: Red Sox-Brewers trade contains $100 clause
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — A hundred dollars can still go a long way in baseball.
- LEADING OFF: What to watch at the baseball winter meetings
A look at what's happening today at the baseball winter meetings in Oxon Hill, Maryland: