- Materials, financials help lift S&P 500, Nasdaq to new highs
U.S. stocks posted solid gains Tuesday, propelling the Standard & Poor's 500 index and Nasdaq composite to all-time highs.
- S&P: Downturn in energy production hits budgets in 6 states
Six of the country's major energy-producing states have slipped into recession after a sharp decline in production and exploration over the last 18 months caused their tax revenue to plummet and job growth to stagnate, according to a financial analysis released Tuesday.
- Trump acts to advance Keystone XL, Dakota Access pipelines
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump moved swiftly Tuesday to advance the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines, signing executive actions to aggressively overhaul America's energy policy and deal a sharp blow to Barack Obama's legacy on climate change.
- Senate Democrats propose $1 trillion infrastructure plan
WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats on Tuesday offered a plan to spend $1 trillion on transportation and other infrastructure projects over 10 years, challenging President Donald Trump to join them on an issue where they hope to find common ground.
- Emoluments, executive orders _ a Trump glossary
WASHINGTON (AP) — It's the first full work week for the Trump administration, and the talk is all about emoluments, executive orders, a border tax, TPP and much more.
- Trump health pick gives Dems few details on health overhaul
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's selection to become health secretary told a Senate committee Tuesday that the new administration believes people with existing illnesses should not be denied health insurance, but committed to no details on that or any aspects of how Republicans will reshape President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Trump budget pick: Cut benefit programs; tax hikes on table
WASHINGTON (AP) — Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid need significant changes to be preserved for future generations, President Donald Trump's pick to head the White House budget office told Congress on Tuesday, putting him at odds with the new chief executive.
- The Latest: Insurers propose alternative to federal mandate
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on activities in Congress (all times EST):
- Ask Brianna: How can I avoid my parents' money mistakes?
"Ask Brianna" is a Q&A column from NerdWallet for 20-somethings or anyone else starting out. I'm here to help you manage your money, find a job and pay off student loans — all the real-world stuff no one taught us how to do in college. Send your questions about postgrad life to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Diversity in tech: Lots of attention, little progress
NEW YORK (AP) — The tech industry brought us self-driving cars, artificial intelligence and 3-D printers. But when it comes to racial and gender diversity, its leading companies are no trailblazers.