- Lawyer: Confinement of chimps for research akin to slavery
NEW YORK (AP) — A lawyer seeking to free two chimpanzees from a state university told a judge Wednesday that their confinement for research purposes is akin to slavery, the involuntary detention of people with mental illnesses and imprisonment.
- Sea lion impaled with spear rescued in Southern California
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A giant sea lion impaled by a homemade spear is recovering at SeaWorld after being rescued just off the Southern California coast.
- Police: Steven Tyler not really doing a strawberry farm show
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. (AP) — Police have alerted residents of a New Jersey township that Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler will not be performing at a small pick-your-own strawberry farm.
- Man acquitted of animal cruelty for blowing pot smoke
CHICAGO (AP) — A judge has acquitted a Chicago man of animal cruelty charges filed after the man posted a video of himself smoking marijuana with a chameleon.
- Illinois couple welcomes their 100th grandchild
QUINCY, Ill. (AP) — A western Illinois couple recently celebrated the birth of their 100th grandchild.
- Oh, brother: Twins charged with hurling bricks at each other
ORANGE CITY, Fla. (AP) — What are a few bricks between brothers?
- Ohio man posts message on his SUV: 'Got kidney? I need 1'
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A man in need of a kidney donor is taking his search on the road in unusual fashion, with bright yellow letters taped to the rear window of his SUV.
- 'John Wayne Day' in Texas honors actor's 108th birthday
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Wearing a brown plaid coat worn by John Wayne in 1945's "Flame of Barbary Coast," Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has declared a day in honor of the quintessential screen cowboy.
- 3 burglars share tips of trade in crime prevention video
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Police looking to educate the public about ways to prevent break-ins turned to the experts — a trio of convicted burglars.
- Roller coaster fan notches 5,000th ride on historic coaster
WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. (AP) — An 82-year-old fan of a historic Pennsylvania roller coaster celebrated his 5,000th ride on it over the holiday weekend — sitting for more than eight hours straight and logging 95 spins around the wooden ride in a single day.