- The Latest: Attorney for clerk says decision unprecedented
ASHLAND, Ky. (AP) — The latest on the county clerk in Kentucky who has refused to issue marriage licenses since the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage (all times local):
- Prosecutor: Church shooting suspect to face death penalty
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The white man accused of killing nine black churchgoers in what authorities said was a racially motivated crime during Bible study will face a death penalty trial, even though not all the victims' families agree with capital punishment, a prosecutor said Thursday.
- Trump vows no third-party bid, will back GOP primary winner
NEW YORK (AP) — Caving to intense Republican lobbying, presidential candidate Donald Trump ruled out the prospect of a third-party White House bid on Thursday and vowed to support whoever wins the party's nomination — a U-turn made easier by his position at the front of the field.
- Image of dead child on beach haunts and frustrates the world
The photo of the dead 3-year-old Syrian boy on a Turkish beach is haunting.
- New federal requirements on cellphone surveillance
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal law enforcement officials will be routinely required to get a search warrant before using secretive and intrusive cellphone-tracking technology under a new Justice Department policy announced Thursday.
- ACLU wants feds to withhold funds from LAPD for body cameras
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Police Department's effort to equip officers with body cameras has run up against an unlikely obstacle — the ACLU of Southern California.
- Manhunt could bring subdued holiday in recreation area
FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — The manhunt for three suspects wanted in the killing of an Illinois police officer threatened Thursday to dampen the Labor Day weekend across one of the state's most popular recreational areas, a boating and fishing playground known as the Chain O' Lakes.
- Rock-throwing that injured teacher results in jail sentences
LEWISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Three young men apologized to their victim on Thursday after a judge sentenced them to time behind bars for throwing a rock from an interstate overpass, striking the woman in the head and causing her severe brain damage.
- 1st of Tanzanian albino kids with missing limbs goes home
NEW YORK (AP) — Kabula Nkarango Masanja returned home to Tanzania with a new American prosthetic arm replacing the limb that was chopped off with a machete by followers of African witchcraft.
- 2nd man charged in death of ex-officer's girlfriend in Texas
DALLAS (AP) — A man authorities say conspired with a former Texas police officer to kill the patrolman's pregnant girlfriend has been charged with capital murder, according to court records and law enforcement officials.