- 2 dead, 1 badly hurt in explosion at Spanish biodiesel plant
MADRID (AP) — Spanish emergency services say an explosion at a biodiesel plant has killed two people and left one survivor seriously injured.
- Body of Italian student found in Cairo flown back to Italy
CAIRO (AP) — The body of the Italian student who was found this week in a Cairo suburb was flown back to Italy Saturday morning, Egyptian airport officials and Italy's foreign minister said.
- Seoul: N. Korea moves up rocket launch window to Feb. 7-14
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea has moved up the window of its planned long-range rocket launch to Feb. 7-14, South Korea's Defense Ministry said Saturday. The launch, which the North says is an effort to send a satellite into orbit, would be in defiance of repeated warnings by outside governments who suspect it is a banned test of ballistic missile technology.
- Obama to seek double funding for clean energy R&D by 2020
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama said Saturday that he'll ask Congress to double spending on research and development into clean energy by 2020. But the request is unlikely to be fulfilled.
- The Latest: Turkish raids on factories making unsafe boats
AMSTERDAM (AP) — The Latest on the movement of refugees from the Middle East and elsewhere to Europe (all times local):
- Lowest price for Super Bowl ticket is $3,000, company says
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — For a mere $3,000, you can attend the Super Bowl.
- Amtrak, Illinois reach deal to maintain instate service
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Amtrak and the Illinois Department of Transportation say they have reached an agreement to maintain existing service on state-supported routes while reducing costs.
- Research looks at blight fight, recycling building materials
MUSKEGON, Mich. (AP) — Michigan State University researchers will use nearly $250,000 from the U.S. Department of Commerce to examine whether recycling and repurposing building materials is an effective way to deal with blighted areas.
- BC-WA--Washington News Coverage Advisory, WA
Washington state at 1 a.m.
- BC-OR--Oregon News Coverage,ADVISORY, OR
Oregon at 1 a.m.
- Twitter moves to actively seek out terrorist supporters
WASHINGTON (AP) — Twitter is now using spam-fighting technology to seek out accounts that might be promoting terrorist activity and is examining other accounts related to those flagged for possible removal, the company announced Friday.
- Friday's Sports in Brief
- 10 people plead guilty in tax refund and food stamp scam
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Ten people, including nine from Florida, are pleading guilty to filing fake income tax refunds and fake food stamp applications.
- AP Sportlight
1882 — John L. Sullivan wins the world heavyweight bare-knuckle title by beating Paddy Ryan in a nine-round bout in Mississippi City, Miss.
- Inglewood's stadium rising soon, hoping to host Super Bowls
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) — The 50-yard line is still dirt and weeds around a protruding yellow pipe used for water table measurement. There isn't much more than vacant space and idle construction equipment within a few minutes' walk in any direction.