- Suspect in officer attack had history of mental illness
HOUSTON (AP) — A man charged with murder in the ambush of a suburban Houston sheriff's deputy had a history of mental illness and was once declared mentally incompetent, according to authorities and his former attorney.
- Study: Midlife obesity may spur risk for earlier Alzheimer's
WASHINGTON (AP) — One more reason to watch the waistline: New research says people's weight in middle age may influence not just whether they go on to develop Alzheimer's disease, but when.
- Yahoo chief Mayer says she's pregnant with twins
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer says she's pregnant with identical twins.
- Manhattan school tests positive for Legionella bacteria
NEW YORK (AP) — Officials say a Catholic school on Manhattan's Upper East Side has been closed for cleaning after a cooling tower tested positive for low levels of the Legionella bacteria.
- Giants lose 5-4 to Dodgers in 14 innings
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The San Francisco Giants' bullpen went toe-to-toe with the Los Angeles Dodgers' relievers until finally blinking in the 14th inning.
- BC-TX--Texas Daybook, TX
Assignment Desks, Editors: The following events are for planning purposes. Listing does not indicate AP coverage. Scheduled events are subject to change. All times are Central. Contact numbers are not for publication.
- Dodgers beat Giants 5-4 in 14 innings on Gonzalez's single
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A.J. Ellis drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the 14th inning before the Los Angeles Dodgers loaded the bases with no outs. With slugger Adrian Gonzalez at the plate, the slow-footed Ellis knew he would have to hustle to score.
- Missing hiker died of hypothermia, diphenhydramine overdose
GATLINBURG, Tenn. (AP) — A coroner says a hiker found dead in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in June may have intentionally overdosed on diphenhydramine.
- NFL's toughest division has big changes, challenge ahead
CINCINNATI (AP) — Anytime there's a debate about the NFL's toughest division, teams in the AFC North are quick to point out the playoff appearances.
- UF, Mount Sinai partner in new Alzheimer's research center
MIAMI (AP) — Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida and the University of Florida are partnering to open an Alzheimer's Disease Research Center.
- Victorino crashes into wall and it falls in Angels' loss
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Shane Victorino crashed into the wall left field and down it came. The ball eluded him, too.
- Mark Canha hits 3-run HR as Athletics beat Angels 11-5
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — In less than a month with Oakland, Danny Valencia has learned plenty about his ballpark's quirks. From sewage problems to a rally opossum, and now an outfield wall coming down at the decrepit Coliseum.
- Monday Sports In Brief
NEW YORK (AP) — OLYMIPCS
- BC-AP Sports Digest
The supervisor is Jake Seiner, followed by Fred Lief at 9 a.m. The New York sports desk can be reached at 800 845-8450, ext. 1630. Sports Photos, ext. 1918; graphics, ext. 7636; agate, ext. 1635. AP stories and accompanying photos also can be obtained from http://www.apexchange.com For reruns, call the Service Desk (800 838-4616) or your local AP bureau. All times EDT.
- Volunteers recognize mentally ill buried in unmarked graves
APPLETON, Wis. (AP) — For almost 80 years, no one is thought to have visited Peter Gauslin's grave.