- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
4 Oct. 20155:15 AM ET
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis opened a divisive meeting of the world's bishops on family issues Sunday by forcefully asserting that marriage is an indissoluble bond between man and woman. But he said the church doesn't judge and must "seek out and care for hurting couples with the balm of acceptance and mercy."
- Survivor: Gunman spared 'lucky one' to give police message
4 Oct. 20158:08 AM ET
ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — The gunman who opened fire at an Oregon college killed some of his victims after telling them to crawl across the classroom floor and shot one after saying he would spare her if she begged for her life, according to relatives of students in the classroom.
- Guatemala family loses 7, missing 4 after mudslide
4 Oct. 20159:56 AM ET
SANTA CATARINA PINULA, Guatemala (AP) — A wall of mud stopped everyday life mid-text, mid-sentence, mid-dream for the family of Manuel Sandoval and Maritza Aquino.
- Gusty wind may add to weather risks on soggy East Coast
4 Oct. 20158:55 AM ET
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Flooding from days of record-setting rain along the heavily populated East Coast washed out bridges and homes, and forecasters warned wind gusts topping 35 mph could down trees and power lines across the Carolinas and Virginia in the coming hours.
- Israel bars Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City
4 Oct. 20159:45 AM ET
JERUSALEM (AP) — In an unprecedented measure, Israeli police barred Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City on Sunday in response to stabbing attacks that killed two Israelis and wounded three others, as Israel's prime minister vowed a "harsh offensive" to counter rising violence.
- Scherzer throws his 2nd no-hitter this year, Nats sweep Mets
3 Oct. 201511:25 PM ET
NEW YORK (AP) — Max Scherzer says he can get even better.
- Not much solved on Sort 'em Out Saturday
4 Oct. 20151:06 AM ET
A month before the first College Football Playoff selection committee rankings, the No. 1 team in the country is an open-ended question.
- Walking the Americas: Woman preps for 5-year trek
4 Oct. 20154:06 AM ET
SMITHVILLE, Mo. (AP) — The night before Bethany Hughes started on the Pacific Crest Trail, a 2,650-mile hike from Mexico to Canada, she was so wired that she kept rifling through her bags.
- No. 12 Clemson holds off No. 6 Notre Dame 24-22
4 Oct. 20151:01 AM ET
CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) — Clemson coach Dabo Swinney learned plenty about his 12th-ranked Tigers on Saturday night, qualities he believes make them hard to beat.
- Swamp Shocker! No. 25 Florida upsets No. 3 Mississippi 38-10
3 Oct. 201511:35 PM ET
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Will Grier was sick all right.
INSIDE OREGON BUSINESS