- Officials: Firefighter halted teen who killed father, shot 3
TOWNVILLE, S.C. (AP) — A volunteer firefighter stopped a teenager who shot three people outside a South Carolina elementary school after killing his father at their home, authorities said.
- DIVIDED AMERICA: Minorities hopeful, whites sour on future
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Consider two women in their 70s, both residents of the Kansas City area. One is white and affluent; the other is black and working class.
- California officer guns down man in 'shooting stance'
EL CAJON, Calif. (AP) — The fatal police shooting of a black man who drew something from his pocket and extended his hands in a "shooting stance" happened about a minute after officers in a San Diego suburb arrived where a distraught man was reportedly walking in traffic, a police spokesman said Wednesday.
- Congress tied up in partisan knots over the most basic duty
WASHINGTON (AP) â Acutely partisan and all but dysfunctional, Congress has completed its most elementary task after an intense weekslong struggle, finalizing a deal to fund the government just days ahead of a shutdown deadline.
- Israel's leaders lay wreaths beside casket of Shimon Peres
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Reuven Rivlin put down wreaths beside the casket of Israel's ninth President Shimon Peres on Thursday morning, as preparations for his funeral were underway.
- Boston Red Sox clinch AL East crown, go worst to 1st again
NEW YORK (AP) — Even though they let a win get away Wednesday night, the Boston Red Sox locked up something more important. And as far as they were concerned, an AL East title was certainly worth celebrating.
- Mickelson promises prepared US team at Ryder Cup
CHASKA, Minn. (AP) — Two days before the Ryder Cup, Phil Mickelson went back 12 years to drive home a point that the Americans are prepared to play their best golf.
- Danny Willett apologizes for brother's words about US fans
CHASKA, Minn. (AP) — With stakes at the Ryder Cup so high, the players are under plenty of pressure. Danny Willett's focus faltered a bit Wednesday during practice at Hazeltine National Golf Club.
- 5 huge momentum swings from Ryder Cup history
CHASKA, Minn. (AP) — Momentum means everything at the Ryder Cup.
- Texans place star DE JJ Watt on injured reserve
HOUSTON (AP) — J.J. Watt is out until at least December and could miss the rest of the season with an injured back, leaving the Texans searching for ways to deal with the loss of the NFL's best defensive player.