- No surprise: Beijing's pick Lam chosen as Hong Kong's leader
HONG KONG (AP) — The candidate favored by China's Communist leadership was chosen as Hong Kong's new leader on Sunday, in the first such vote since huge pro-democracy protests erupted over the semiautonomous Chinese city's election system in 2014.
- US-backed forces battling for IS-held air base in Syria
BEIRUT (AP) — U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces began their assault on an Islamic State-held air base in northern Syria on Sunday, activists said, as reports circulated that residents were evacuating the nearby city of Raqqa, the militants' de facto capital.
- The Latest: Syrian Kurdish forces battle IS over air base
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the Syrian conflict (all times local):
- Corruption protests sweep Russia; opposition leader arrested
MOSCOW (AP) — Thousands of people crowded into Moscow's Pushkin Square on Sunday for an unsanctioned protest against the Russian government, the biggest gathering in a wave of nationwide protests that were the most extensive show of defiance in years.
- Drought-stricken Somalia battles hunger and cholera
BAIDOA, Somalia (AP) — An emaciated woman writhes on her hospital bed, weakly waving her bony hand to create a current of air.