- He's a skydiver working with a net _ but no parachute
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — He's made 18,000 parachute jumps, helped train some of the world's most elite skydivers, done some of the stunts for "Ironman 3." But the plunge Luke Aikins knows he'll be remembered for is the one he's making without a parachute. Or a wingsuit.
- Police and protesters credited with restraint at convention
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bernie Sanders' devoted followers were careful to pick up after themselves and wore hats embroidered with a dove to remind everyone to remain peaceful. And the police, instead of hauling demonstrators off to jail, issued them $50 tickets for disorderly conduct and released them with a complimentary bottle of water.
- At vigil, Biden tries to comfort relatives of slain officers
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The gunman's bullets that killed three law enforcement officers in Baton Rouge also targeted the country and "touched the soul of the entire nation," Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday at a memorial service for the fallen officers.
- Murder suspect's mom charged in deaths of 2 witnesses
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Prosecutors have charged a St. Louis woman with arranging the deaths of two 16-year-old boys who were potential witnesses in a murder case against her teenage son — a case that initially fell apart because other witnesses refused to testify.
- 2 hikers found after overnight in South Dakota Badlands park
RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) — Emergency crews on Thursday found two hikers who spent the night lost in the rugged terrain of South Dakota's Badlands National Park, officials said.
- Sandy Hook school opening to public, 4 years after massacre
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — When the public gets its first glimpse Friday of the school built to replace the one where 20 first-graders and six educators were massacred, they'll see a building designed to be attractive, environmentally friendly, conducive to learning, and above all, safe.
- The Latest: Trump slams Clinton over 'radical Islam'
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Latest on the Democratic National Convention and 2016 presidential campaign. (all times EDT):
- California coastline wildfire is big and getting bigger
BIG SUR, Calif. (AP) — Firefighters struggled Thursday to get the upper hand on a massive wildfire burning along California's picturesque Big Sur coastline, where anxious residents driven from their homes awaited word on their properties and popular parks and trails closed at the height of tourist season.
- Ohio college student found dead in field to be buried Friday
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio college student found dead in a cornfield three days after she disappeared while riding her bicycle will be buried at a private service.
- Al Gore's daughter due in court after June pipeline protest
BOSTON (AP) — Former Vice President Al Gore's daughter and other activists are due back in court after being arrested during a natural gas pipeline protest in Boston.