- At least 38 dead as strong earth quake rocks central Italy
AMATRICE, Italy (AP) — A devastating earthquake rocked central Italy early Wednesday, collapsing homes on top of residents as they slept. At least 38 people were killed in hard-hit towns where rescue crews raced to dig survivors out of the rubble, but the toll was likely to rise as crews reached homes in more remote hamlets.
- Turkey in cross-border operation to free IS-held Syrian town
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — After a pre-dawn barrage of heavy artillery and airstrikes, Turkey sent tanks and special forces into Syria on Wednesday to help clear a border town of Islamic State militants, marking the NATO member's most significant military involvement so far in the Syria conflict.
- 10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Blacks question Trump outreach delivered to white audiences
AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Black Republicans cheer Donald Trump for a newfound outreach to African-Americans, but say the GOP presidential nominee must take his message beyond arenas filled with white supporters and venture into the inner cities.
- Horrified by Trump, Democrats getting nostalgic about Romney
WASHINGTON (AP) — When President Barack Obama ran for re-election, Democrats made no secret of their disdain for Mitt Romney. That was all before Donald Trump.
- Oh boy! Segedin homers, races to hospital for son's birth
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rob Segedin sprinted from the outfield to the dugout, got frenzied high-fives from teammates and flew down the stairs toward the clubhouse.
- 3 Olympic weightlifting gold medalists fail doping retests
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Three Olympic champion weightlifters from China and eight other medalists stand to be stripped of their titles after failing retests of their doping samples from the 2008 Olympics.
- Rangers put Josh Hamilton on unconditional release waivers
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Texas Rangers placed Josh Hamilton on unconditional release waivers Tuesday, though they hope his surgically rebuilt left knee is healthy enough to allow him to try for a spot with the team next season.
- Dodgers lose Anderson, Kazmir; tie record with 27 on DL
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Dodgers have placed left-handers Brett Anderson and Scott Kazmir on the disabled list, tying the 2012 Boston Red Sox for the major league record with 27 players on the DL this season.
- Premier League stars face early-season clampdown by refs
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — WWE-style grappling at corner kicks, manhandling of match officials, verbal abuse: Sometimes the beautiful game can take on an ugly side.