- Ships, jets, giant crowd mark Pearl Harbor anniversary event
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) — Thousands gathered on a pier overlooking Pearl Harbor, observed a moment of silence and watched jets streak across the clear blue sky Wednesday in honor of the 75th anniversary of the attack that plunged the United States into World War II.
- For Trump: Kinder words for immigrants, one new Cabinet pick
NEW YORK (AP) — Laying new groundwork for his presidency, Donald Trump chose retired Gen. John Kelly Wednesday to head his Homeland Security Department and offered newly sympathetic words for the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.
- AP source: Trump to tap Oklahoma AG Pruitt to head EPA
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump is expected to nominate Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to lead the Environmental Protection Agency, a source close to Pruitt said Wednesday. Environmental groups quickly denounced the choice.
- Trumps taps retired Marine general John Kelly for DHS
WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, whose last command included oversight of the Guantanamo Bay detention center, to run the Department of Homeland Security, people close to the transition team said Wednesday.
- Syrian government advances despite rebel cease-fire offer
BEIRUT (AP) — Syria's government ignored a rebel cease-fire proposal for Aleppo on Wednesday as its forces captured new neighborhoods around the city center and squeezed some 200,000 tired and frightened civilians into a shattered and rapidly shrinking opposition enclave.
- Sale on yielding ace role: 'We play for a trophy, not a tag'
BOSTON (AP) — Chris Sale said he isn't worried that he might not be the ace of the Boston pitching staff after being added to a Red Sox rotation that already includes David Price and reigning AL Cy Young winner Rick Porcello.
- Oregon hires Willie Taggart as new head football coach
Willie Taggart has become known for rebuilding programs at Western Kentucky and South Florida. His next endeavor will be much more high profile, trying to turn around the struggling Oregon Ducks.
- LeBron: No statement by not staying at Trump-branded hotel
NEW YORK (AP) â LeBron James said he wasn't trying to make a statement by not staying at a Donald Trump-branded hotel with the Cleveland Cavaliers, calling it a personal preference.
- Emmert: 'Pleased' to see Penn State football thriving again
NEW YORK (AP) — NCAA President Mark Emmert says he is pleased to see how well Penn State's football team has bounced back from the sanctions the program received in 2012 after the Sandusky scandal.
- Stanford's Christian McCaffrey to leave school for NFL draft
STANFORD, Calif. (AP) — Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey will skip his senior season to enter the NFL draft.