- The Latest: 1 extremist in French attack was a local boy
PARIS (AP) — The Latest on the attack on a French church claimed by Islamic State group (all times local):
- Clinton steps into history as 1st woman White House nominee
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Taking her place in history, Hillary Clinton on Tuesday night will become the first woman to lead a major party toward the White House, a triumphant moment for Democrats to relish before plunging into a bruising general election against Republican Donald Trump.
- Sanders supporters: Unmoved by plea to support Clinton
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Undeterred by Sen. Bernie Sanders' plea for party unity behind Hillary Clinton, several hundred Sanders supporters chanting "Bernie or bust!" took to the streets under the hot sun Tuesday for another round of protests on Day 2 of the Democratic convention.
- IS group claims attack that killed 85-year-old French priest
SAINT-ETIENNE-DU-ROUVRAY, France (AP) — Two attackers slit the throat of an 85-year-old priest celebrating Mass in a French church, killing him and gravely injuring one of the few worshippers present before being shot to death by police. A nun who escaped said she saw the attackers take a video of themselves and "give a sermon in Arabic" around the altar.
- Many factors make France the top IS terror target in Europe
PARIS (AP) — When militants loyal to the Islamic State group seek to inflict pain on Europe, France is their preferred target, a grim reality borne out yet again with Tuesday's knife slaughter of a Catholic priest.
- Roger Federer says he is out of Rio Olympics, done for year
Roger Federer is sitting out the rest of this season, including the Rio de Janeiro Olympics and U.S. Open, to protect his surgically repaired left knee.
- At least 105 Russian athletes banned so far
MOSCOW (AP) — At least 105 athletes from the 387-strong Russian Olympic team announced last week have been barred from the Rio Games in connection with the country's doping scandal.
- The Latest: 22 Russian rowers rejected for Olympics
MOSCOW (AP) — The Latest on the Rio Games (all times local to Rio de Janeiro):
- Padres keep rebuilding by trading Upton to Blue Jays
TORONTO (AP) — Outfielder Melvin Upton Jr. was already in Toronto with the San Diego Padres when they traded him across the diamond to the Blue Jays.
- Injury anxieties grow but Bolt says 'sport needs me to win'
LONDON (AP) — Whatever controversy is raging in the Olympic world there's one constant: Usain Bolt's bravado and self-confidence.