- Ukraine says fighter jet shot down
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian forces say one of their fighter jets has been shot down by a Russian missile in combat against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Obama seeking allies for fight against extremists
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama's acknowledgement the U.S. still lacks a strategy for defeating the growing extremist threat emanating from Syria reflects a still unformed international coalition.
- 11 of 24 trapped gold miners rescued in Nicaragua
BONANZA, Nicaragua (AP) — The first 11 of 24 freelance gold miners trapped by a collapse in a mine in northern Nicaragua have been rescued and crews were working early Saturday to free more, officials said.
- Judge finds Texas abortion rules unconstitutional
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Tough new Texas abortion restrictions are on hold after a federal judge found Republican-led efforts to hold abortion clinics to hospital-level operating standards unconstitutional in a ruling that spares more than a dozen clinics from imminent closure.
- Taliban attack intel office in eastern Afghanistan
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A suicide bomber in a truck blew himself up at an intelligence headquarters in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing at least two people and setting off an intense firefight with security forces, officials said.
- Stewart returns to racing but questions remain
HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — Tony Stewart was back in his comfort zone, behind the wheel of a race car.
- Errani's 'cottage cheese' serve tops Venus at Open
NEW YORK (AP) — A day before facing Venus Williams — and a partisan crowd — at the U.S. Open, Italy's Sara Errani came across a video posted on Twitter that gave her a little extra motivation.
- Yankees ace Tanaka sent home with general soreness
TORONTO (AP) — Injured Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka is being sent back to New York because of general soreness in his right arm, a setback in his bid to rejoin the rotation this season.
- Sterling says Clippers deal started with 2 numbers
LOS ANGELES (AP) — When asked how much money she wanted to sell the Los Angeles Clippers, the wife of disgraced team owner Donald Sterling handed a piece of paper to her lawyer with two numbers: $1.5 to $2.
- 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith suspended by NFL
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco 49ers have been preparing for months to play on without Aldon Smith over an extended period.