- Mideast unrest spreads to Gaza as stabbing attacks continue
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israeli forces clashed with Palestinian demonstrators along the Gaza border on Friday, killing five of them, as a rash of stabbing attacks in Israel and the Palestinian territories, including the first apparent revenge attack by an Israeli, raised fears of wider unrest.
- Pressure builds on Paul Ryan to run for House speaker
WASHINGTON (AP) — The pressure is on Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP vice presidential nominee in 2012, to run for House speaker in the chaotic aftermath of Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's sudden decision to abandon his campaign for the post.
- Tunisian democracy group wins Nobel Peace Prize
OSLO, Norway (AP) — A coalition of Tunisian workers, business owners, rights activists and lawyers won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for intervening at a crucial time to push the North African country that sparked the Arab Spring revolutions toward democracy and away from civil war.
- Pentagon giving up on building new Syrian rebel force
LONDON (AP) — The U.S. is abandoning its goal of training a new force of moderate Syrian rebels and will focus on equipping, arming and supporting established rebels groups already fighting against the Islamic State group inside Syria, officials said Friday.
- AP Exclusive: Hajj crush was deadliest ever at pilgrimage
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — One survivor of last month's crush and stampede at the hajj in Saudi Arabia recalled seeing so many bodies that he couldn't tell how many there were.
- NYC jury acquits Atlanta Hawks' Sefolosha in police fracas
NEW YORK (AP) — Atlanta Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha was acquitted Friday of charges stemming from a struggle with police outside a trendy New York City nightclub that left him with a broken leg and ended his NBA season.
- LEADING OFF: 4 games on tap; Kershaw vs Mets; Midwest rivals
A look at what's happening around the major leagues today:
- Josh Donaldson in Jays lineup for Game 2 of ALDS
TORONTO (AP) — Third baseman Josh Donaldson and outfielder Jose Bautista are in the Blue Jays lineup for Game 2 of their American League Division Series against Texas. Third baseman Adrian Beltre is not starting for the Rangers.
- Associate says Blatter hopes to be back within 10 days
LONDON (AP) — Suspended and shamed, Sepp Blatter is still hoping to return to power as FIFA president within the next 10 days.
- Bae delivers big moment in Presidents Cup debut at home
INCHEON, South Korea (AP) — Bae Sang-moon never felt the kind of pressure that weighed on him Friday at the Presidents Cup.