- 'Spotlight,' 'Big Short' win Writers Guild of America awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Oscar contenders "Spotlight" and "The Big Short" won the top awards for screenwriting from the Writers Guild of America at a ceremony Saturday that was held in Los Angeles and New York.
- Munn, Segel help film academy honor inventors, engineers
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Subjects like rapid prototyping, 3-D texture painting and the intricacies of digital media review systems became comic material Saturday for Olivia Munn and Jason Segel, hosts of the film academy's Scientific and Technical Awards. Or at least they tried their best.
- Hong Kong hosts Valentine's Day with 25,000 LED roses
HONG KONG (AP) — It's like a romantic scene out of one of South Korea's sappy soap dramas — tens of thousands of illuminated roses forming an impressive backdrop for the lead actor and actress to declare their love for each other.
- Documentary "Fire at Sea" opens at Berlin Film Festival
BERLIN (AP) — The director of "Fire at Sea" — a documentary about the Italian island of Lampedusa, where thousands of asylum-seekers have been arriving from lawless Libya — says he wanted "to show the tragedy that's playing out in front of our eyes ... We're all responsible."
- Ai Weiwei art project in Berlin features refugee life vests
BERLIN (AP) — An art installation by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei in Berlin showcases thousands of used life vests by refugees from the Greek island of Lesbos.
- NY Fashion Week: Wang goes to church, Siriano goes for knits
NEW YORK (AP) — The Associated Press is all over New York Fashion Week, from the runway designs to the celebrity-filled front rows. Here are some recent highlights:
- Rihanna hits the runway _ this time, as designer
NEW YORK (AP) — Rihanna is certainly used to stopping the show, whether as a performer or as a fashion figure whose daring choices can make headlines.
- Head of BAFTA: Film industry not diverse enough
LONDON (AP) — The head of the British Academy Film and Television Awards says its annual ceremony does not feature more ethnic minority nominees because the film industry itself is not diverse enough.
- Protesters in Spain urge puppeteers' acquittal on charges
MADRID (AP) — Protesters marched through Madrid and the southern Spanish city of Granada on Saturday calling for charges to be dropped against two puppeteers jailed for allegedly praising terrorism.
- Alabama Shakes ready to rock at Grammy Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes remembers being a nervous, fresh-faced, first-time nominee at the Grammys back in 2013.